We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JR Pass - tickets/reservations

Doncaster
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
JR Pass - tickets/reservations

Hi

Can someone please explain the JR pass to me. I land at Narita terminal 1 and I'm traveling to Tokyo station. So when I land I need to valid and exchange my 'exchange order' for the JR pass, where do I do this? I then need to get the N'EX to Tokyo station, I think I need a reservation for this trip, is that correct? Where do I reserve my seat, same place that I exchange my pass? Do I have to pay for a reservation? Will the reservation be easy for me to read?

I will be using the JR pass for trips to Kyoto and Osaka, do I need to book reservations on the bullet train? Does this cost?

Any info would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
The Tokyo Station Hotel
The Tokyo Station Hotel
1,321 Reviews
Chiyoda, Japan
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Osaka
Osaka
Osaka Prefecture, Japan
Likely To Sell Out
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,226 Reviews
from US$143.10*
Special Offer
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
111 Reviews
from US$55.40*
US$73.90
Mt. Fuji Day Trip Including Lake Ashi...
954 Reviews
from US$129.30*
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,814 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: JR Pass - tickets/reservations

From 00:25 www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TwbgtCeb6E

tokyo
Level Contributor
4,569 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JR Pass - tickets/reservations

Many answers here:

http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en006.html

1. You exchange at the JR station in Narita Airport, there are plenty of English signs to point you to the right office etc. All NEX trains require a reservation. You can do it at the same office.

2. JR reservations with the JR pass are free

3. Shinkansen reservations on that route are not required but recommended if you want to secure a seat.

4. Reservations will have English and Japanese printed on it.

Edited: 14 August 2014, 11:58
Mentioned in this post
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
Doncaster
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JR Pass - tickets/reservations

Perfect! Thanks for this info

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,955 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JR Pass - tickets/reservations

The reservation card has everything translated into English, which is really handy. It includes your departure and arrival times, so you know when to get your luggage together and make your way to the door. The trains are ALWAYS on time!

5. Re: JR Pass - tickets/reservations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 06:17