We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Australian family of 4 Days 1-3 Tokyo

Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
248 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Australian family of 4 Days 1-3 Tokyo

Myself ( female 42yrs). my mother (66) and 2 teenage daughters ( 17yrs and 15yrs) travelled to Japan in late June, early July and visited Tokyo, Disneyland, Kyoto and Hiroshima. Here is my report for Days 1-3 in the Tokyo area.

Day 1 - we flew from the Qld Gold Coast to Tokyo on Jetstar and arrived in Tokyo at around 7pm. I had pre arranged a transfer to our hotel with Tokyo Airporter. it was expensive at around $200 for the 4 of us but landing at night, speaking no Japanese and travelling with a older person I though it would be easier to have our transport arranged. And it was. We were met at the gate by a lovely man holding a sign with our name, he held our suitcases whilst we went downstairs to exchange our JR passes for later in our holiday. he then led us to his lovely, air conditioned late model van , loaded all our bags and drove us to our hotel the Hotel Metropolitan Edmont. It took about an hour to get to our hotel. We checked-in and were taken to a lovely room for the 4 of us. We went back downstairs and had a lovely meal in the hotel resturant and then turned in for the night.

Day 2 - Breakfast was had at Starbucks adjascent to the hotel and then we set out for the day to visit the Odaiba area. We walked to the metro station and were surprised at how easy it was to locate the train line that we needed and worked out how to buy a ticket in the machine. All the signage was in English and we had a lovely young girl come over and helped us with the ticket machine. Once we did it once it was very easy to travel and buy tickets for the rest of the trip. I had thouroughly researched the train lines etc that we need on Hyperdia before our trip so I had a bit of an idea which lines we needed but it all worked out well. The trains are always on time and are very clean.

We arrived at Tokyo Teleport Station and headed for Venus Town shopping centre which was just lovely. We did some shopping and had lunch at a Hawaiian resturant. Whilst many of the restaurants in Japan dont have Engligh menus, the majority have pictures and/or lifesize models of the food so it is easy to just point to what you want. Food prices are cheaper than in Australia so we ate up!

After lunch we went over to another shopping mall which had a huge statue of Gundam ( an animae character). It was way too crowded over there so we deiceded to head back to our hotel., have an early dinner and catch up on some sleep.

Day 3 - Today we did the Tokyo Trends and Traditions Tour with the Travelience Company. We met our guide in Asakusa ( once again caught the train) at 10am and toured many different areas of Tokyo for the next 6 hours. It was a hot and tiring day but our guide was wonderful and we learnt so much, and saw so much of Tokyo that we never could of covered on our own. Dinner was at an awesome little restuarant where you order your food on a screen and it pops along on a track and arrives in front of you. THe kids loved it! We did a bit of shopping on the way home and had another early night ready to check out in the morning and head to TOkyo Bay and the Disneyland area

More to follow on the next report - Days 4 - 8 Disney Resort

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
396 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Australian family of 4 Days 1-3 Tokyo

Awesome JBR....dont know why people dont post about their trips on this forum....keep them coming...Im going to Japan in Oct....very excitted but at the same time very nervous.

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
927 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Australian family of 4 Days 1-3 Tokyo

Lovely to read, with some good leads.

England
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Australian family of 4 Days 1-3 Tokyo

Thanks for posting this, i have been checking this forum almost daily since booking our trip in January and can probably count on one hand the number of trip reports i've seen! I love reading them in the run up to my trips and will make sure to post mine when I get back at the end of september. Sounds like you had a good time :-)

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
874 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Australian family of 4 Days 1-3 Tokyo

Great report with all the little details fellow travellers need. Zulu Goose you said you had not found many trip reports. The following link is to a trip I did in 2013 and may have some useful info.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294232-i525-k6…

Foster City
Level Contributor
308 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Australian family of 4 Days 1-3 Tokyo

Can you tell us more about your guide? Like how much it cost? Did they require tips at the end? Was it expensive? Did they take you around to jewelry stores in hopes you would buy something? I would love to do tour in Tokyo but I could not find one that appealed to me.

Foster City
Level Contributor
308 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Australian family of 4 Days 1-3 Tokyo

This is probably one of the longest trip reports on this website:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298184-i861-k7103…

I made it earlier this year in January.

Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
248 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Australian family of 4 Days 1-3 Tokyo

Mahadragon, THe tour was about AUD$40pp through Travelience. THe guide did not expect tips and certainly didnt get you to buy anything. He just showed us all the sights included in the tour. The Japanese are lovely friendly people, not high pressure salesmen like you might find in the rest of Asia. The tour guides only aim was to show us his beautiful country.

Melbourne,Australia
Level Contributor
874 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Australian family of 4 Days 1-3 Tokyo

Totally agree with the high-pressure sales comment. The Japanese have nothing on the Chinese who literally grab you to coax you into their shops/ market stalls

9. Re: Trip Report - Australian family of 4 Days 1-3 Tokyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2015, 05:15