We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our one night in Tokyo: Asakusa?

Which Tokyo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Our one night in Tokyo: Asakusa?

We have a 1 night layover in Tokyo on our long trip home from New Zealand. From what have read on this board, am thinking of staying in Asakusa as a quieter area that gives us a break from our travels. But, we have limited time--we get in at 1:50 pm and then leave the next morning (11:10 am) from Narita. With the time change, was thinking this allows us to sleep in a bed (hubbie said no futon), and wander around in a neighborhood. Does Asakusa fit the bill for a quieter, interesting area that is safe to wander around with good food, that won't be too challenging to get to? Since it is our last night of our vacation, are considering splurging for the Gate Hotel. Thoughts?

Last year, we stayed in Narita proper, had noodle soup, took a wander down to the temple and bought snacks for our journey so was thinking of perhaps trying another neighborhood this time.

Thanks in advance.

1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Our one night in Tokyo: Asakusa?

Asakusa is an interesting area. Asakusa Sensoji Temple is worth visiting and is within a walkable distance from the station.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,497 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our one night in Tokyo: Asakusa?

Considering the "splurge", Tokyo Station might be another option. Compared to Asakusa the differences would be that it is more modern and has more evening shopping possibilities. You could even walk down to Yurakucho - …usatoday.com/alliance/…1

But Asakusa is a nice choice as well.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,410 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our one night in Tokyo: Asakusa?

I personally love Asakusa, but I'm openly biased about it. Endless character and charm, and whilst many feel it's a little too quiet and a bit 'out of the way', it's nevertheless an area that is distinctly different from other parts of Tokyo. Nakamise aside, I don't find it as hectic.

The Gate Hotel is quite brilliant, and in terms of 'splurge', due to the Asakusa location, for the product, it's very well priced and great value.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,653 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our one night in Tokyo: Asakusa?

I love Asakusa as it seems to me to be on a more human scale than much of Tokyo and the Senso-ji Temple and the stalls around it are wonderful. There are also some family run restaurants in the area and a local place that does reflexology and back massage.

I like the Asakusa Sunroute Hotel when I first land in Japan because, while it is a fairly standard business hotel, the people are lovely, the wifi is reliable and, best of all, its first floor coffee shop is open 24/7. (The breakfasts, both Japanese and Western, aren't bad either)

5. Re: Our one night in Tokyo: Asakusa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 05:16