We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo-Oji(Nara)-Kinosaki Onsen-Tokyo

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
487 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Tokyo-Oji(Nara)-Kinosaki Onsen-Tokyo

I will be visiting Tokyo for 11 days. Planning to do a 3 nights trip out of Tokyo. 1st 2 nights at Oji(Nara) with intention to visit Nara and Osaka. Then the 3rd night in Kinosaki Onsen (as I really like to experience an Onsen Village). Then straight back to Tokyo. Is this feasible or am I being silly? I intend to buy the JR Pass for this trip. I've been to Kyoto so skipping that. I don't have more time than the 3 nights since I will be working the first few days in Tokyo.

Singapore
Level Contributor
253 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo-Oji(Nara)-Kinosaki Onsen-Tokyo

Hi,

Oji is close to Nara but twice the distance to Osaka. But I think this is quite okay:

Oji to Nara - 15 mins

Oji to Osaka - 30 mins

Kinosaki is accessible by limited express from Kyoto. Take the same JR Yamatoji Line to Osaka, take JR Special Rapid Service from Osaka to Amagasaki(JR). Change again to limited express Kitakinki to Kinosaki.

For actual detail, please check:

www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

Cheers!

Bernard

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
487 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo-Oji(Nara)-Kinosaki Onsen-Tokyo

Hi Bernard,

I know that Oji is pretty close to Nara and Osaka. Actually my main purpose for the trip is to go to an Onsen Village for a night. Just wondering whether the trip is worth the long train journey from Tokyo?

Singapore
Level Contributor
253 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokyo-Oji(Nara)-Kinosaki Onsen-Tokyo

Hi,

You can also take shinkansen to Kyoto and change to limited express kinosaki to the onsen.

Kinosaki Onsen:

jnto.go.jp/eng/…kinosaki.html

If you just into onsen and not the novelty of a onsen town, there are many onsen in Japan.

Cheers!

Bernard

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tokyo-Oji(Nara)-Kinosaki Onsen-Tokyo

I love Kinosaki, but it will be a long trip for you; from Nara you're looking at about four hours. What about Arima? It's also a nice onsen town and is about two hours from Nara.

http://www.arima-onsen.com/eng/index.html

John W.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
487 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tokyo-Oji(Nara)-Kinosaki Onsen-Tokyo

Hi John, It is a really long journey, especially the return train trip from Kinosaki to Tokyo. 6 hours! But I really like the look and feel of Kinosaki Town. Arima Onsen just doesn't feel as cosy as Kinosaki.. Any more suggestion for an onsen town which has traditional Japanese ambience yet lively, offers beautiful scenery, etc? Preferably not right on the beach. Not as far as Kinosaki from Tokyo.

Singapore
Level Contributor
253 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tokyo-Oji(Nara)-Kinosaki Onsen-Tokyo

Hi,

Not sure how keen are you to explore other nearer places for onsen.

You may want to check out Ito area of Izu peninsular.

Cheers!

Bernard

7. Re: Tokyo-Oji(Nara)-Kinosaki Onsen-Tokyo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 12:20