We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airport bus from Kansai airport (KIX) to Kyoto

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
airport bus from Kansai airport (KIX) to Kyoto

We will be landing at KIX next Tuesday and traveling directly to Kyoto. I know that there are train connections, but have also seen mention of an airport bus that goes to Kyoto too. I realize that it might take a bit more time, but it might also be a direct trip--no train changes or connections to contend with.

We were in Japan last year and found the train system to be simply amazing, but the thought of getting an a bus and sitting back without any thought of transfers or schedules seems very inviting--especially when you are jet-lagged:-)

Has anyone taken the airport bus, or have more information on it?

thank you

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airport bus from Kansai airport (KIX) to Kyoto

I have not taken this particular bus route, but in case you would like more information about the train, here is the web page illustrating the Haruka train between Kansai and Kyoto.

westjr.co.jp/english/travel/kix/index.html

There are a few stops but you don't change trains. Just sit down and rest until you arrive in Kyoto.

Getting to the train as you exit customs at Kansai is quite simple. It is very close to the exit doors, as is the ticket counter where you can either exchange the coupon for your rail pass or purchase tickets. When you come out of customs into the arrival area, look for one of the uniformed ladies who are there to direct you, they speak excellent English and are very helpful, and there are signs in English.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
136 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airport bus from Kansai airport (KIX) to Kyoto

japantravelteacher - how much is the train? Thanks for letting me interrupt here.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airport bus from Kansai airport (KIX) to Kyoto

There are three fares for train travel between KIX and Kyoto. I strongly suggest purchasing the mid-priced ticket: the highest fare (almost double the mid-price) is for reserved seats, and the lowest buys you passage on a "limited express" that's more like a skip-stop subway in Chicago or NYC and only takes you into Osaka - whence you'd need to change trains.

Not once when I've traveled on the airport train has it been so much as half full, so there's nothing to justify shelling out all that extra money for reserved seating. When purchasing tickets, just hold up your fingers to indicate quantity and ask for "jiyuu seki." (Pronounce it like the letter G, then a stretched out letter U, then "sexy" without the second "s" sound.) The word means free - as in unassigned - seats; there's no pluralization in Japanese.

The one time I looked around KIX for bus routes to Kyoto, all I found was some service to outlying areas of the city. From what I've seen of the uncrowded trains, it was probably felt that having multiple transportation options wouldn't be justified financially. Not that I'd opt for a bus over a train anyway!

szs
Pasadena, CA USA
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: airport bus from Kansai airport (KIX) to Kyoto

The train station is on the airport premises. You can wheel your luggage cart directly to the train station entrance. Train is direct to Kyoto w/ one stop in Osaka. KIX to Kyoto train takes about 1 1/2 hours at most. We got a great deal at the Westin Mayoko (125 US$) made only two days in advance. It is in a great location in eastern Kyoto walking distance from many temples, shrines, art museums.

The Westin has a satelite office at Kyoto train station where you can drop off your luggage if you do not wish to go directly to the hotel. They also have free shuttle service frm train station to hotel and back. There is also a hotel at the train station Can not rmember the name, which is in central down town area

Avoca, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rusutsu-mura
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: airport bus from Kansai airport (KIX) to Kyoto

The bus is easy to locate outside the terminal (we have used it) .

It arrives at the rear of Kyoto Station (opposite MacDonalds)

We were travelling with much luggage, skis & snowboard, and tried to use buses where possible.

6. Re: airport bus from Kansai airport (KIX) to Kyoto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2009, 17:19