We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

himeji from kyoto daytrip

bethesda
Level Contributor
119 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
himeji from kyoto daytrip

Can I get to himeji from kyoto using the jr rail pass? If so, how long does that take? i'll be going in august. Thanks.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: himeji from kyoto daytrip

Yes. A day trip to Himeji from Kyoto is easy, and you can take the JR line so you can use your rail pass. It is possible to take shinkansen, but Himeji is not a major stop on the route so not all shinkansen trains stop there. You have to plan your timing a bit. You can go to the Green Window (JR ticket office) in Kyoto station and get reserved seats (for no cost with your JR pass). Or, you can get an English language train schedule, do your own planning and just get unreserved seats.

You can also take the regular JR line express train and it will take about an hour for the trip, which is just about as long as the shinkansen takes too.

Check here for train schedule: http://www.hyperdia.com/

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: himeji from kyoto daytrip

If you take a regular express train, it takes about an hour and a half from Kyoto to Himeji. So For a day trip, I recommend to take shinkansen with you JR pass. If you go by shinkansen between 12 and 16 August, it will be better to make a reservation, as it is a peak period of summer holiday.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Himeji, Kobe, Osaka
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: himeji from kyoto daytrip

What are your plans in Himeji? I strongly suggest doing the castle in the morning. It isn't air conditioned and in the late afternoon it gets quite warm, particularly on the top floor.

John W.

4. Re: himeji from kyoto daytrip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2010, 14:23