We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living in Himeji

Which Himeji hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington DC...
12 posts
Save Topic
Living in Himeji

Hello! I've been presented the opportunity to live in Himeji for a year, but I know little about the city. I have traveled in and around Tokyo but am not fluent in Japanese.

I would love to know what living and working in Himeji is like for 20 somethings: things to do, local customs, visiting nearby Osaka and Kyoto, etc. Thanks for any and all insights!

M

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,968 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living in Himeji

Himeji is known for its magnificent castle that's now being fully restored. Other than that, it's a typical provincial city outside (or on the brink) of the busy Kansai area, safe and pleasant, with enough shops and supermarkets to do your daily shopping. Not a bad place to stay for an year, but at some point you'll get bored.

It's about 40 minutes to Sannomiya in Kobe and around 1 hour to Umeda in Osaka if you take JR.

Edited: 12 January 2012, 18:04
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,184 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Living in Himeji

Here is the link to City of Himeji page in English:

www.city.himeji.lg.jp/foreigner/en.html

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Living in Himeji

Himeji has good access to Kansai without being overly populous. I agree that it is a great place to stay for a year. There are a great number of foreign visitors who stop by to see the castle and the city is laid out. I have a friend who lived there teaching English and he really enjoyed it.

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Living in Himeji

Go for it!!

Are you going to be a JET? If so, (and even if not) check the JET (Japan Exchange Teacher) web site. You will find a large community of ALTs (Assistant Language Teachers) from English speaking countries in Himeji. If you need a personal contact, PM me and I'll give you more information. You might also check with the Hyogo International Association in Kobe (same prefecture and it's a prefectural office) for local contacts. They will be a great source of information and assistance. You will have no problem connecting with young people your age in Himeji. In fact, there is an apartment complex in Himeji where the JETs for the region are given assisted housing!

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Living in Himeji

<<<Go for it!!>>>

I couldn't agree with this sentiment! At your age this is the opportunity of a lifetime.

Washington DC...
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Living in Himeji

Thanks to all for your responses, suggestions, and encouragement!

The Sister Cities program I am interested in involves teaching English, but is not an exchange. The details appear to be a great fit for our situation (I hope to travel with my significant other, who will apply to teach as well).

I suppose my only reservations come from not knowing the city well enough and fearing eventual boredom. My trip to Tokyo secured a love for all of the hassle and bustle of that city. I know Himeji is not a metropolis, but i suppose then my question is how much time for travel around Japan I will have.

Again, thank you for your responses!

M

Washington DC...
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Living in Himeji

Hustle* hopefully no hassle! :)

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Living in Himeji

So go and enjoy! I think you will love it in Himeji. It is a small town, but are only a short train ride away from Osaka and Kyoto, lots of hustle and bustle there for sure.

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,064 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Living in Himeji

I lived near Himeji for my first year in Japan and I liked it because it was so quiet. But after having lived in Kobe for a while, I knew that I could never go back.

The best part about living in the actual city is that you will have easy access to the trains that take you to other places. (Wait, will you be in the boonies of Himeji or Central Himeji???) I had to drive about 30 minutes to Himeji Station before being able to start my journey. At that time, most of us came to Kobe on the weekends for better night life and it wasn't a bad trip at all. Kobe is about 25 minutes closer which makes a difference coming from Himeji sometimes. We would also venture a bit further and go to Osaka on the weekends as well. On those nights, we usually stayed in the clubs all night and would catch the first train back on the next day. It was fun back then. (The late 90's)

Washington DC...
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Living in Himeji

Thanks, once again, to all for sharing your suggestions and experiences. I will be submitting my bid to enter the program tomorrow! Here's to being accepted and an amazing, fulfilling year in Himeji!