We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

deer in Nara question

Which Nara hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
deer in Nara question

After reading SnowFalling's wonderful trip report, a question popped into my mind as to how they could possibly clean up after all those deer. I mean the "unchi" (just learned a new word!). Surely it doesn't collect for weeks/months/years? I grew up in farm country, where that kind of thing is an issue... I don't mean to corrupt your idyllic forum, but now this thought is stuck in my head!

:)

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,437 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: deer in Nara question

Deer doo-doo was definitely laying around, but it wasn't too bad. It looks like they sweep up every night, at least.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: deer in Nara question

Thanks for the reply!!

seattle
Level Contributor
636 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: deer in Nara question

On a different slant, one should always watch for the potential for Lyme disease where there is a such concentration of deer in contact with many people. This doesn't seem to be problematic for the present from a quick search, though. For those inclined to technical articles, here is a reference:

Makoto Kawahara, Yasuko Rikihisa, Quan Lin, Emiko Isogai (Feb. 2006). Novel Genetic Variants of Anaplasma phagocytophilum, Anaplasma bovis, Anaplasma centrale, and a Novel Ehrlichia sp. in Wild Deer and Ticks on Two Major Islands in Japan. APPLIED AND ENVIRONMENTAL MICROBIOLOGY Vol. 72, No. 2, p. 1102–1109 (http://aem.asm.org/cgi/reprint/72/2/1102)

By the way, we plan to visit Nara and the deer soon.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,057 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: deer in Nara question

When I stayed in Nara, I got up at the crack o' dawn to take pictures and saw the shopkeepers sweeping up the deer poop!

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,089 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: deer in Nara question

Like you know, there's always tiny bits of stuff scattered around on the grass; compared to the stately shape of dunghills of a cow, they are neglectable, though. That said, you might like to choose to claim squares of cleaner picnic space in Deer Park when it gets a bit congested with other holiday-goers...

6. Re: deer in Nara question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 16:15
Get answers to your questions about Nara