We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Koya or Kurashiki?

Washington DC...
2 posts
Save Topic
Mt Koya or Kurashiki?

I have an extra day in my schedule. I am trying to decide whether to add one extra day to Mt Koya or in Kurashiki (we already have one day and overnight planned in each place). We plan to hike in Mt Koya and bike in Kurashiki, but I'd like to find out where there is the most to do to keep us busy an extra day.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
5,019 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt Koya or Kurashiki?

I like Kurashiki, and have visited it several times (never been to Koyasan) but I think a night and a day are plenty. I most often have just stopped over in the evening enroute to Hiroshima. The canal is lovely by lamplight. In the morning, I visit the museums and shops before the tour groups pour in, then leave town. I see by your other post that you will be in Takayama and Shirakawago I would spend another night in Takayama, where there's lots to see and do. Shirakawago was among my most memorable stays, but it doesn't take a lot of time to see everything.

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt Koya or Kurashiki?

Koyasan and Kurashiki are completely different places.

Are you extremely interested in Buddhism & thinking about the life after this one? If so Koyasan may interest you. There are monks, vegetarian food and an extremely large cemetery.

Are you interests more secular? In what an old merchant town may have looked like in days gone by? Are you interested in art and food? Then Kurashiki is a pleasant and picturesque town with a very fine art gallery and some good restaurants.

The destinations are chalk and cheese.

Koyasan takes a little effort to reach and is on top if a mountain. Kurashiki is on the way to Hiroshima and easy to reach.

Edited: 29 May 2012, 14:38
3. Re: Mt Koya or Kurashiki?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2013, 02:45