We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days for each place? Osaka and Kyoto

6 posts
Save Topic
How many days for each place? Osaka and Kyoto

Hello! I am planning to visit Osaka on first week of September. I will like to know how many days I need to tour Osaka and Kyoto. Is 3 days for osaka and kyoto sufficient? I'm more interested in the sightseeing, food, culture, less into shopping. Some help and recommendations will be really appreciated! Thank you!

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
49,832 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days for each place? Osaka and Kyoto

IMO - 3 to 4 days is enough time for a decent area. You can research what to see/do at www.japan-guide.com and decide for yourself.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days for each place? Osaka and Kyoto

I'd say spend 2 full days in Oska, and as much time as you can afford in Kyoto. I live in Japan and every time I bring my friends or family members who are visiting, we stay on average 5 nights. Plenty of things to see!

6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days for each place? Osaka and Kyoto

Thanks for the replies! What will be your minimal number of days for Kyoto? 2 days? And as I am doing my research I start to feel that in Kyoto many of the attractions are temples. I wonder if I should really visit temples after temples. What will be the must-do things or must-go places in Kyoto if I can only afford 1-2 days in Kyoto? Which temple or shrine should I go to with limited time?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,098 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days for each place? Osaka and Kyoto

Look at some guide books!!! There are over 2,500 temples and shrines, plus the Imperial Palace and Nijo Castle! I'd say at the very least 3 full days in Kyoto, there are cool museums, performances and traditional Japanese gardens as well. Do some research, you will find some amazing things to do!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days for each place? Osaka and Kyoto

Kyoto is somewhere the Japanese can enjoy visiting for a lifetime, coming once or twice an year, each time for 1-4 days. 3-4 days or more can be recommended for a first visit. It had been the capital of Japan for over a millennium so everything traditional and cultural has some roots there.

Nara is another highlight of travel in Japan; you should see 1 day allocated there.

Osaka is quite fun though as a large and lively modern city; as a tourist traveler you might use half day up to perhaps 1-2 days.

Edited: 15 May 2014, 14:41
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How many days for each place? Osaka and Kyoto

We visited Japan for the first time in April and, in addition to Tokyo and Mt. Koya, we spent 1 night/day in Osaka and 5 days in Kyoto. Like you, we did not want to burn out on temples. In Osaka we saw the castle, which I highly recommend for the beauty and historical significance, and Doton-bori street, which is another side of Osaka we greatly enjoyed, very much not a temple experience. For us one night and full day were enough.

We were in Kyoto 5 days and nights and found there was much more to do than just temples. We attended a wonderful tea ceremony demonstration, strolled Gion and shopped and saw maiko (or did we? some are fake, but they still look lovely), strolled and ate in Ponctocho alley, visited Nishiki market and the surrounding arcade, and still took in plenty of temples and shrines. We will go back to Kyoto - we know there is much more to see and the overall vibe is great. Our only disappointment was the Golden Pavilion - we found the Silver Pavilion and the surrounding neighborhood more beautiful and enjoyable; the Golden Pavilion was very touristy and, for us, rather out of the way and not very nice to walk around.

Nara was a must-see when in Kyoto, we really enjoyed it as a day trip but would not stay overnight, and from Osaka we took an overnight trip to Mt. Koya - a place we will return to and make sure to stay more than one night (we stayed in a temple).

Edited: 19 May 2014, 03:29
7. Re: How many days for each place? Osaka and Kyoto

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2015, 05:17