We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half day stop from Kansai Airport

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Half day stop from Kansai Airport

Hi all,

My family of 5 will be traveling on the JR sanyo line with the Kansai Hiroshima 5 day pass from Kansai Airport. Wakayama didnt catch my attention until I have all accommodations booked. So the next best thing for us to do is to go straight from airport and stop at wakayama for the day and leave by the evening for Hiroshima.

I touch down at Kansai @ 650am so I guess I ll have at least half a day there. What interests me most is watching tuna fillet show at a market, preferably the one at Toretore market. But if it is logistically cumbersome, I will visit another market, (hopefully not Kuroshio market , cos I read a lot of bad reviews)

So TA experts, please advise me as to what other interesting stuff can I do to make it a worthwhile visit. (No castle or shrine visits for me, will be doing a lot elsewhere)

And I will be very grateful if the direction to such places are given too.

Thanks a lot......

Regina

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,722 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half day stop from Kansai Airport

Though personal interests differ, I wouldn't go just to see a tuna being cut. With your 5-day Kansai Hiroshima Pass, I am sure there are other great destinations you can visit.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,091 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half day stop from Kansai Airport

Wakayama won't be my choice either and its a detour. If you don't want to see the best castle, Himeji, on the way to Hiroshima (which is a pity,) how about Okayama and/or Kurashiki? Onomichi is another good option.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Half day stop from Kansai Airport

Hi,

Thank you both for your replies !

Yes, Himeji Castle is a must see for me ! ) In fact I will visit other castles too. But it's just that the one at Wakayama does not interest me. .

And SammyF1oyd, that is precisely my point. I don't want to make a detour just to watch tuna fillet show, so I am seeking help to see if I can do anything else to make it a worthwhile trip. And the toretore markets looks like a good place to buy and eat food stuff too. Do you have any suggestions pls ?

And thanks, Shibuyakko, Kurashiki looks interesting, the canal seems lovely. It is worth my consideration :) And I may visit Onomichi on another day while I am based in HIroshima.

But any other info regarding Wakayama ? More suggestions pls

Thanks

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,766 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Half day stop from Kansai Airport

There isn't much in the Wakayama city, apart from the castle and the Kuroshio fish market. Note that the Toretore market is in Shirahama, which is probably 2 hrs away by JR train to the south. Thus, it's not worth it to make that detour as you'd need to head to Hiroshima in the west.

consider the Osaka Kuromon market instead.

use hyperdia.com to check train schedules.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,722 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Half day stop from Kansai Airport

I think all three of us are suggesting you skip Wakayama for better places to visit.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
48 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Half day stop from Kansai Airport

Hey,

I'm sold.

No wakayama for me.

How is Okayama, doesn't look very interesting to me?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
6,766 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Half day stop from Kansai Airport

Korakuen Garden in Okayama is 1 of the 3 best gardens in JP. The green grapes from Okayama is probably the sweetest and most fragrant.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5701.html

You may consider a separate trip focusing on southern Wakayama, Shirahama, Kii Katsuura and the World Heritage Kumano Kodo.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4955.html

Edited: 25 October 2016, 03:01
8. Re: Half day stop from Kansai Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2018, 02:19
Get answers to your questions about Wakayama