We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is your nicest place you visited in Kyushu?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
19 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
What is your nicest place you visited in Kyushu?

Hi,

I'm planning a 3 week trip to Kyushu, starting in Fukuoka. As I don't have any confirmed itinerary yet, I'm curious what your most favorite place is you visited in Kyushu and why? - And was it easy to reach by public transport?

Your travel experience would be much appreciated!

Edited: 10 June 2013, 14:36
Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is your nicest place you visited in Kyushu?

Kumamoto Castle

http://www.visitkumamoto.com/kumamoto-castle

Although I am not usually a fan of reconstructed castles, this one is especially well done.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
251 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is your nicest place you visited in Kyushu?

I really liked Kurokawa Onsen. It is such a nice onsen town with wonderful rotenburo.

But it is not so cheap to stay there.

I also liked Mount Aso, but you have to be a bit lucky with the weather.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
24,923 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is your nicest place you visited in Kyushu?

Nagasaki, Kumamoto Castle, Kagoshima + Sakurajima and Miyazaki + Aoshima Island and Udo Shrine. I also love Hakata. Kyushu is awesome!

The only place that didn't impress me so far was Beppu--too touristy and vulgar.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,360 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is your nicest place you visited in Kyushu?

Just for a day visit, I like this onsen at Sakurajima---just 5 minute walk from ferry terminal, plus there is a fishing pier (with rod and bait), volcano museum, lava walk, etc

http://www.rainbow-sakurajima.com/onsen/

Durham
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is your nicest place you visited in Kyushu?

Hallo,

I like Kagoshima. It's one of the more attractive Japanese cities I've visited I found the maps and signposts for sightseeing places made it easy to get around as a visitor. It's a very manageable size also.

If you're feeling adventurous and fit why not get out into the countryside and climb Kaimon-dake? To get there, up, down and back by train by a sensible time did involve setting off on the 04.51 train from Kagoshima though due to the limited number of services on that minor line!

The most rewarding single day I've had was probably when, starting from Miyazaki, I took in the town of Obi, Udo Jingu shrine and Aoshima. It was bit of an adventure as I had to figure out where to get on and off the buses as I was going along. Here's a post I made a couple of years ago with some details of the transport involved etc.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…33259237

(The bus stop in Obi must have moved as you now need to pan to the right a bit to see it.)

Japan
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is your nicest place you visited in Kyushu?

Oh, and the Yayoi reconstructed village at Yoshinogari. And Nagasaki....loved Nagasaki. Both places I like for the history...but that's just me!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,518 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is your nicest place you visited in Kyushu?

I would recommend visiting Nagasaki and Kagoshima.

And if you like shopping for pottery, Arita is worth a visit--there's a large ceramics shopping plaza about a 15-minute walk from the train station. Many shops give a 30% discount on most items.

Herford
Level Contributor
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What is your nicest place you visited in Kyushu?

Mt. Aso , Kumamoto castle , Nagasaki and Sakura Islad.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
350 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is your nicest place you visited in Kyushu?

For me, there are many wonderful memories of Kyushu, however because I lived in Okinawa for 5 years, I was able to make a dozen trips to Kyushu, a luxury not many can afford. I was also able to venture off the beaten path. But if you have three weeks, you should be able to take in most of the major cities and concentrate on the major attractions there: Fukuoka, Nagasaki, Kumamoto, Beppu, Miyazaki, Kagoshima. In between you should be able to visit Unzen, Yufuin, Takachiho.

There are just too many treasures to see and no time here to go into details. So what I can offer is enjoy the local food! Hakata ramen in Fukuoka, champon in Nagasaki, another type of seafood ramen in Kumamoto, chicken nanban in Miyazaki, and maybe some black pork dish in Kagoshima. If you can afford it, try Takezaki crab in Kashima area and Wangyu beef in the Mt. Aso or Miyazaki area.

I would say though, that if I could only visit one city in Kyushu, Nagasaki right now is the best bang for the buck. Keep in mind that most of the major attractions are western buildings. But it has a major A-bomb museum like in Hiroshima, and now you can visit the Battleship Island and there is a seaport resort area down south that is new. Plus it has a famous food in champon and a small Chinatown. On a day trip, you can go to Unzen. There is an interesting biopark up north where you can openly interface with animals, and a penguin aquarium on the way to Unzen.

10. Re: What is your nicest place you visited in Kyushu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2014, 05:17