We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyushu

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Kyushu

Was in Japan in March and did Tokyo-Hiroshima-Kyoto-Nara-Takayama.

We are considering returning in early September but will only have about 10-12 days this time. For a different experience, I was thinking about (and reading about) Kyushu. We will need to fly into Narita as we are flying QANTAS staff and I was a little hesitant about the distances.

If we bought a JR Pass, does it cover Kyushu or do I need a Kyushu Pass?

Any advice as to feasibility and/or must sees in Kyushu would be appreciated.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,374 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Kyushu

The question is whether staff discount (such as ID90) fare qualifies for the Yokoso or similar domestic air pass fare. OP has to check with JAL, or just buy it. Tickets are refundable subject to 5000 penalty and they ask for your international ticket number so you know for sure whether you are eligible or not.

However 1st segment must be confirmed and not changeable (but you can still cancel the whole ticket for 5000).

Edited: 13 June 2013, 16:41
Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Kyushu

Go to Kyushu. Love it there!

'Must sees': Nagasaki, Kagoshima, Mt. Aso and Beppu - just because! Kumamoto is also nice.

I'm particularly fond of the Mt. Aso region. Plan some hikes and onsen visits. The Mt Aso Backpackers Hostel is a terrific place to stay and in many ways is more like a hotel than a hostel.

Beppu is a trifle unusual but what do you expect from a town that is built on hot-water? Huge steam vents all over town and, of course, the hells.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Kyushu

Thanks for all of the info on flights. I will check out the details on whether ID90 applies or not - doubt that they will, but it may be an option to fly one way and Shinkensen the other way. We really enjoyed the train travel in March.

Looks like Kyushu is definitely worth thinking more about but as pointed out, being ready to change plans if whether is bad. If we left Kyushu to next year, when would be a good shoulder time to see it? We were really happy with travelling in March in Honshu this year, as even though we missed the cherry blossoms, we did have plum blossoms and NOOOO crowds!

Another question, as JR Pass is valid in Kyushu, is it convenient to get to places by train, or would car hire be better (as it is n the correct side of the road!!)?

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Kyushu

I went in May and the weather was superb.

I found travelling by train, ferry and bus worked very well and it was lovely to let someone else worry about the driving while I enjoyed (often spectacular) views.

If you are taking the train at least one way and are therefore buying a Japan Rail Pass, you might as well use it where you can, save the money of the car rental, and spend it on some excellent ryokens.

You also need to keep in mind that parking in Japanese towns and cities is not necessarily easy to find.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
153 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Kyushu

Hi,

I 'd take the Shinkansen over flying any day (there are different types of rail passes and you can use some in Kyushu, check out JR's website). No hanging around airports, its fast, clean, on time and you can view the country side in comfort. Also you can take your own food and drink on board or buy form the girls wheeling the trolleys around.

You can also use the pass on most district trains. I'd recommend seeing Fukuoka (good for eating & shopping), Nagasaki ( the Atomic bomb museum and Hypocentre park is a sobering experience. Good views of the city from the sightseeing ferry) , Kumamoto has a large and interesting castle and Oitia or Beppu for an outdoor onsen.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Kyushu

Train it is!! I actually love travelling by train in Japan so it really is a no brainer!

Perhaps if the weather in May was great we might leave Kyushu to next year and go somewhere else (northern Vietnam) perhaps this September.

We had no crowds in March, how was May for crowds?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Kyushu

Hi I intend to visit Kumanmoto, Mt Aso, Yufiin and Kurokawa (overnight stay) in Dec. Is it worthwhile to stay overnight in Mt Aso or back to Kumanmoto before proceedingto Kurokawa? Is there anything to do in Aso other than seeing the mountain?

Heard the transport from Mt Aso to Kurokawa is rather limited. That is, is it better to travel:

a) Kumanmoto-----> Mt Aso(overnight)--------> Kurokawa(overnight)------->Yufiin; or

b) Kumanmoto----->Mt Aso------->Kumanmoto(overnight)------>Kurokawa(overnight)----->Yufiiin.

Will appreciate any help on the above. My first trip to Kyushu

18. Re: Kyushu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 06:20