We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reservations? Kyushu Shinkansen - Dec.30 to Jan. 2

Which Fukuoka hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Honolulu, Hawaii
1 post
Save Topic
Reservations? Kyushu Shinkansen - Dec.30 to Jan. 2

Planning to travel to Fukuoka arriving Dec. 29 and travel to Kumamoto via Kyushu Shinkansen the next day, Dec. 30.

My question is, how hard will it be for me and my family to get reserved seats being that I can only reserve in person the night before? I am willing to catch ANY of the many Shinkansens to Kumamoto on the 30th. Thank you.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,966 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reservations? Kyushu Shinkansen - Dec.30 to Jan. 2

Dec 28 or 29 might be the most crowded. 30 to a lesser degree. I cannot guarantee that you'd be able to book seats, but should you ever find all seats at the reserved section full, line up at the platform at the non-reserved section for the next departing train, preferably the Tsubame departing from Hakata (Fukuoka) and not Sakura which will come from Shin-Osaka to make a temporary stop, you'll get a seat.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
662 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reservations? Kyushu Shinkansen - Dec.30 to Jan. 2

New Year's Eve and New Year would be easy to travel as Japanese family stay home or locally. I assume January 2nd is also moveable.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,966 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reservations? Kyushu Shinkansen - Dec.30 to Jan. 2

The day of NYE can be a bit crowded as quite a lot of workers work until last minute. But I think on Kyushu Shinkansen it won't be so difficult to get seats.

4. Re: Reservations? Kyushu Shinkansen - Dec.30 to Jan. 2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2014, 05:18