We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or bus to nagasaki?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Train or bus to nagasaki?

We are flying into Fukuoka airport and then traveling to Nagasaki right away. Can anyone tell me if it is more efficient to take the hourly bus from Fukuoka airport or the express train from Hakata station? Thank you for any info.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,525 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or bus to nagasaki?

I suppose the bus is just as easy as the train and cheaper as well. Takes a little loner but you don't have to take the subway to Hakata Station.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,695 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or bus to nagasaki?

If you are arriving on an international flight, you have to take the shuttle bus to the domestic terminal where the subway is. On the other hand a taxi ride to Hakata Station is ~1500.

Nagasaki bus terminal is arguably more "downtown" than the train station.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 18:49
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or bus to nagasaki?

There are 16 direct buses from Fukuoka airport international terminal to Nagasaki per day.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train or bus to nagasaki?

We are flying from Korea so it will be international. Is it easy to buy bus tickets and find the bus?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train or bus to nagasaki?

I think this is a good map where to catch nagasaki bus.http://www.chole2012.jp/pdf/highwaybus_to_Nagasaki.pdf

Thanks everyone for helping.

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
3,067 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train or bus to nagasaki?

Then, where to?

If you are traveling elsewhere from Nagasaki, you might either consider bus or train pass.

www.sunqpass.jp/english/route/index.html

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_05.html

san francisco
Level Contributor
175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train or bus to nagasaki?

then after nagasaki back to fukuoka for a few nights then catch the plane back to Seoul. I noticed on the map there is a counter 'baggage delivery'. is this where I can deposit my luggage to be delivered to the fukuoka hotel?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
350 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train or bus to nagasaki?

From the airport to the city center, people don't realize it's less hassle by airport bus, even if it might cost more. And you will be surprised how far the buses from the airport can travel. Only in Japan. When I went from Hakata Airport to Oita City, there was a bus that went there directly.

The problem with the train is you have to exit the airport, head down several flights of stairs to the train/subway in the basement, find out which train line to take, buy the ticket, etc. All the while hauling luggage with you.

My routine when arriving at an airport is go direct to tourist info from arrivals, pick up some travel brochures, ask which # bus to the main train station, go outside, buy ticket at machine, and wait in line. A bus usually leaves in a few minutes. Plus you can sightsee on the bus or read the tourist brochures.

Perfect example is going from Kansai Airport to Wakayama City. If you take the train, you will have to transfer to a local line (and figure out which one). When there is an airport shuttle that goes directly to Wakayama Station.

Furthermore, the airport bus will usually stop at the bus center or major city thoroughfares before arriving at the main train station. That's why the local Japanese take them. They can stop off enroute close to their hotel rather than have to make their way there from the train station.

The main instance where train might be better than highway bus if if you expect traffic getting out of the city. In going to Oita as mentioned above, the bus got caught in traffic getting out of Fukuoka and took me 3 hrs to reach there. Therefore on the return trip, I took an express train.

san francisco
Level Contributor
175 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train or bus to nagasaki?

DanL917,

I believe the airport bus will be the least hassle for me. I dont mind the traffic, better that then me running around the train station. when I return to Fukuoka , then like you mentioned, I will take the express train to the center of town. thanks for info and thank the rest of you also for your info.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train or bus to nagasaki?

Hello everyone,

We took the bus to nagasaki from Fukuoka airport and it couldn't have been easier. After one hour a rest stop to use bathrooms. Arrived across from the JR nagasaki station, so easy . Thanks!