We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Fukuoka from Osaka

Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Fukuoka from Osaka

I know the travel time is gruelling for a day trip, but because the cherry blossoms open earlier there, its the only chance I have to see them in full bloom for my late march trip. What are the must-sees that I should cover in such a short time? Thought of heading to kumamoto castle as well to see the cherry blossoms... *ambitious* Appreciate inputs!

Ohori Park
Playgrounds, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Parks, Scenic Walking Areas
Uminonakamichi Seaside Park
Playgrounds, Parks, Gardens, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Hakata Station
Architectural Buildings, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
350 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Fukuoka from Osaka

Although the Japanese web site guestimates seem to suggest that blooming is earlier in warmer places like Kyushu, in my experience, it is not by much. Maybe petals start opening 3-4 days earlier. In general, if you go to Kyushu the usual time like everywhere else south of Tokyo: last week of March - 1st week of April, you should be fine. So not sure going to Fukuoka for this is worth it.

Another way to put it is I would not plan a trip to Kyushu mid March and expect to see peak blooming, not unless it's an exceptionally early season.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
26,928 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Fukuoka from Osaka

Shin-Osaka to Hakata(Fukuoka) is only 2.5 hours on the Shinkansen, so it's totally doable. There is a great chance you'll see full bloom in Hakata in mid March. Sakura blooms only last ~one week and I travel all over Japan to chase it every spring. If you have a JR Pass, it comes very handy to do something like this. Here is a sakura report in Fukuoka last year. Fukuoka Castle Ruins, Maizuru Park and Nishi Park are great sakura sopts:

japan-guide.com/blog/…130321_fukuoka.html

There is a list of reports on the bottom. Compare and contrast how/when sakura blooms at different areas of Japan.

Mentioned in this post
Sakura
Sakura
1 Review
Fukuoka, Japan
Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Fukuoka from Osaka

Thanks guys for the inputs. I was looking at sakura forecasts and it seems tokyo would be delayed this year due to cold weather. I would actually be doing the visit on 28th so hopefully fukuoka would reach full bloom by then!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,154 posts
847 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Fukuoka from Osaka

The site is in Japanese but easy to understand how cherry blossom front is advancing.

http://sakura.weathermap.jp/

Fukuoka, Japan
Level Contributor
3 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Fukuoka from Osaka

Hi! I live in Fukuoka, and there isn't any sign of the cherry blossoms popping out yet. The trees have buds on them, so I hope they'l make an appearance by the end of next week; but the weather has turned colder again now...

6. Re: Day trip to Fukuoka from Osaka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 04:34