We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Kagoshima airport to the town center

Michigan
Level Contributor
13 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Kagoshima airport to the town center

We're flying into Kagoshima early next month and would like to know hos to get to the town center by piers. Is JR train available or bus?

10 replies to this topic
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Kagoshima airport to the town center

Please see official site first.

http://www.koj-ab.co.jp/english/index.html

koj-ab.co.jp/english/…kagoshima-city-ex.html

In short, there is a bus almost per 10 minutes to Kagashima Chuo (central) station during airport operation hours. I think it should be the most straightforward way.

Timetable: iwasaki-corp.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/…

Edited: 04 November 2013, 17:37
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
750 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Kagoshima airport to the town center

Taking bus is the easiest and best way for travellers.

It is quite easy ride from the airport to the city center by bus. You need to pay the fare by cash. They also accept bills but better prepare change for 1,200 yen.

You can view the below site as well for your orientation:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4604.html

Osaka, Japan
Level Contributor
8 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Kagoshima airport to the town center

The fare is 1250.

When you exit the baggage claim area, go left a bit and exit the airport (about 30 feet / 9m) from the baggage claim).

Upon exit, turn left and immediately on your left you will see 5 or 6 automated ticket machines. You need Japanese yen. Put in 2,000 yen and press the top-left "1250" button. The machine will give you a paper ticket and change.

The bus going to the center of Kagoshima is right in front of the ticket machines.

And no, there is no train from the airport. The bus is the way to central Kagoshima (there is a train station 15 minutes away, but I highly recommend you take the bus!).

So there will be one or two guys at the bus stop collecting luggage (to put under the bus). Give them your suitcases (yes, it's very safe).

They will ask you "where are you going to?" (because the bus has a few stops along the way). Tell them "Kagoshima Chuo".

[Kagoshima is pronounced "Kag - o - shima". The "Kag" is like the "Cag" in "Cagney and Lacey" (old tv show).... and "shima" rhymes with "Lima" (Peru)]

...[finally (the important bit).... "Chuo" rhymes with "duo". Just change the "d" into a "ch"]

Don't worry too much if you can't communicate with the bus baggage handlers, they'll probably guess that you are going to "Kagoshima Chuo"...

Kagoshima Chuo (which is the location of the Shinkansen (or bullet train) station in Kagoshima) is the central station in Kagoshima ("Chuo" means "central").

Note! There is also a "Kagoshima station" which is a very small train and trolley station a couple miles from the central station.

Also, there is a "South Kagoshima station" which is on the trolley line.

Be sure to check where you are going! Google maps is a good start!

99% of the time, you will want "Kagoshima Chuo"...

One more place that you might go is "Tenmonkan". This is an area near Kagoshima Chuo where there are a lot of hotels and shopping. You can walk it from Kagoshima Chuo... but it's a good 15-20 minute walk (at a brisk pace).

The bus will also stop at Tenmonkan.

Some buses seem to have a recording which plays in Japanese, English, Chinese and Korean. But some buses don't have that system. Just listen for "Tenmonkan" (if that is your destination).

(one way to tell you are getting close is you will see trolley tracks in the middle of the street...)

If you are headed for Kagoshima Chuo, then it's easy to know you are there because the bus will drive into a bus parking area of the station. That area has a roof (which is great if it is raining, and makes it really easy to tell you are at the right place).

If it is raining/blazing hot/etc, then you can take an underground passage (highly recommended!)

Go into the bus station (at Kagoshima Chuo) and take the escalator down stairs. From there look for signs pointing to the train station. The train station (at street level) requires 2 road crossings. The lights are rather long. So the underground passage is much better! Just follow the signs!

Ok, a couple final points.

1. The bus going to Kagoshima Chuo can really fill up!

There are two seats on each side of the bus, but there is also a FOLD DOWN seat in the aisle!

So BEFORE YOU GET ON THE BUS, CHECK TO MAKE SURE THERE ARE EMPTY SEATS!!!!!

Trust me, you don't want to be sitting on the fold down seat for the 50 minute ride to the center of Kagoshima!!!

Another bus will come in 10 minutes or so... so just hold your horses and wait for the next bus.

Normally, I don't get on the bus unless the back seats are empty. I like the back of the bus because you can recline without anyone thinking that you are annoying.

[side note: NO ONE in Japan reclines their seat (on airplanes or buses)].

There is a decent restaurant in the airport called Apetito. It is on the 2nd floor. Just take the escalator up. I'd head there if it looks like a ton of people are waiting to get on the bus.

Final point:

At the airport, there is an information counter just to the left when you exit baggage claim. They speak English and probably some other languages. You can go there to ask for assistance. They are very nice.

Kagoshima is a relaxed and friendly place! No worries, if you need help, just ask someone!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Kagoshima airport to the town center

Hi hoping someone can help me here. We leave for Japan in 10 days and will be visiting Kagoshima as a port stop on the Diamond Princess. We are scheduled to arrive at 2pm. My aim is to but a "Cute" ticket and head for the Sakurajima port to take the island bus then later returning to take the 2 city view bus routes and hopefully the night route too as we don't leave til midnight.

I cant get any information from Princess. I havent been able to find out if they take us anywhere by shuttle, I am suspicious they want us to all sign up for ship excursions which we do not like doing.

A few questions - does anyone know where the passenger ships actually dock ?

Assuming they might take us by shuttle to the Kagoshima Chuo station is there a tram that would take us to the port for Sakurajima island rather than waiting for the bus. The earliest bus will possibly be too late to get the Island bus, last bus departs the port at 4.35 pm and ferries go every 15 mins.

What is the name of the port for the island ferry? Some maps tell me it's dolphin port others a block or two away from the dolphin port.

Thanks for your help.

Fukuoka, Japan
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
2,583 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Kagoshima airport to the town center

55Judy,

Cruise docks at Marinport Sakurajima, at southern outskirt.

kagoshima-kankou.com/for/whatsnew/Kagoshima_…

Sakurajima Ferry has its own ferry terminal, Sakurajima Ferry Terminal, which is less than 5 minutes walk from the aquarium. Bus that goes to the aquarium stops in front of Sakurajima Ferry Terminal building. The nearest tram stop is Suizokkanguchi, about 5 minutes walk to the ferry terminal.

I've used the cute 1 day pass. Sometimes I had to wait for over 20 minutes. Tram cars were fine.

I've never walked to the ferry port from Dolphin Port. It won't be too far, but I drove 5-10 minutes.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Kagoshima airport to the town center

Thank you for your help.

SF
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Kagoshima airport to the town center

The highway bus stops at the bus center building across from Kagoshima Chuo station which is the city center. The bus also goes along the main street to/from the ferry port and the airport.

Saint-Ghislain...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from Kagoshima airport to the town center

Hello, I have a bit of a problem for my next trip. I arrive at Kagoshima Airport the 10 of November at PM 9:10 and I can't find if there is still Limousine Bus at this hour (google say no). And I would like to be at Kagoshima ferry port at AM 7:45 the next day to go to Yakushima.

So, either I sleep at the airport and find a way to get there in time the next day (a way i still did not found),

Or, I find a way to go and sleep in Kagoshima city and then be perfectly in time for my Jetfoil.

Can someone help me ? If there is no bus, is the Taxi the only solution (really expensive at night) ? Or maybe to rent a car just for the travel (not so expensive but maybe closed) ?

Thanks a lot for your help !

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,867 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation from Kagoshima airport to the town center

Please use official websites if you want reliable information.

koj-ab.co.jp/en/…public-transportation.html

The last bus is 21:20. Timed for the last flight arrival.

https:/…2017.4.kagoshimacity-airport.pdf

iwasaki-corp.com/wp-content/uploads/22b259fc…

>> either I sleep at the airport

Not possible. But there is a hotel across the highway with free shuttle bus.

Edited: 19 June 2017, 20:01
Fukuoka, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
2,583 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation from Kagoshima airport to the town center

Airport shuttle bus will adjust its departure after 9 PM by the flight arrival.

Reply to: Transportation from Kagoshima airport to the town center
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kagoshima Prefecture