We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry from Beppu ( or Oita) to Osaka

Ringwood, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry from Beppu ( or Oita) to Osaka

Hi I am planning a trip to the Kyushu region in September and I am tossing up the idea of catching a ferry from Beppu to Osaka ( or maybe Oita to Osaka) , however I am having trouble finding details in english.

Does anyone have experience with this ferry? Is it expensive?

Is it good quality?

I was hoping that we may go under the Akashi straight bridge, so we could get a good look at it.

Can anyone help?

4 replies to this topic
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
23,134 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry from Beppu ( or Oita) to Osaka

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2355_01.html

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
23,985 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry from Beppu ( or Oita) to Osaka

Not much info in English available. Here is the timetable:

ferry-sunflower.co.jp/time/beppu_osaka.html

Monday-Thursday: Leaves Beppu at 6:45pm, arrives Osaka at 6:35am

Friday-Sunday: Leaves Beppu at 7:35pm, arrives Osaka at 7:35am

Rooms:

ferry-sunflower.co.jp/ship/beppu_osaka.html

From the top: Deluxe, First, Standard, Tourist Bed and Tourist. The fares range from 24,500-10,500 yen.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
308 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry from Beppu ( or Oita) to Osaka

I did just that, I took the ferry from Beppu back to Osaka. Its a great deal, think I paid about 80-90 US. I left Beppu I think around 7pm and arrived in Osaka about 8am. Considering its saves you travel time and the cost of a hotel for the night it is very hard to beat. You sleep in a big room with tons of other guests, but Japanese are super respectful so its very quiet(had no trouble sleeping).

You get a great view of the bridge and a beautiful sunrise off the ocean. Plus you get to sit back at night have a beer and soak in the boats gender specific communal bath. Was one of my best decisions. The person I talked to in Beppu hooked me up with a Japanese Cruise membership which made it cheaper for the trip even with the added membership fees.

Just as a side not I didn't like Beppu one bit, ymmv. I was glad had changed my plans and stayed in Yufuin and just a half day in Beppu.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry from Beppu ( or Oita) to Osaka

Is there a day ferry from oita/beppu to osaka?

Reply to: Ferry from Beppu ( or Oita) to Osaka
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted