We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideal Itinerary for 4 days in Okinawa?

Sydney, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ideal Itinerary for 4 days in Okinawa?

Hi,

I'd love some advice to help put together a 4 day drive-around itinerary of Okinawa.

This is what I have so far : )

I will arrive into Naha airport on the morning of Monday 12th August and depart on the morning of Friday 16th August

I (think!) I would like to hire a car and drive clockwise around the island visiting the aquarium, cape hedo, the peace memorial park and I would also like to go out and see at least one othewr island, perhaps a day trip.

Im just not sure how to structure my accommodation......

Would I spend the first night in Naha and see the town that day......?

the second night near the aquarium and visit it the second day.....?

the third day/night where?

the fourth day/night where?

and where is the best 'base' to stage the day trip to another island (would love to see some beautiful beaches and snorkling if possible)

Any odeas to help get me started would be much appreciated Thank you : )

Mentioned in this post
Okinawa
Okinawa
Okinawa Prefecture, Japan
Naha Airport
Naha Airport
Okinawa, Japan
Naha
Naha
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
8,767 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideal Itinerary for 4 days in Okinawa?

I don't mention where to go and/or sleep. I just inform you that Okinawa is packed with Japanese tourists during the week.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2286.html

Mentioned in this post
Okinawa
Okinawa
Sydney, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideal Itinerary for 4 days in Okinawa?

Hi Nao H

Thank you so much for that information, I really appreciate it as I had no idea it would be Obon and Okinawa would have more tourists then usual.

Unfortunately I cant change the dates I will be there...... but hopefully I can book my accommodation as early as possible.

Any other tips you might have would be much appreciated - Thank you : ) I will be visiting from Australia and am very excited

Mentioned in this post
Okinawa
Okinawa
Level Contributor
47 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideal Itinerary for 4 days in Okinawa?

Hello

Before leaving NAHA, you will visit the Castle of the Emperors of RYUKYU: SHURI castle.

When you get to Churaumi, explore the interesting museum housing traditional Okinawa. It is on the site of Ocean Patk.

If you like old stones, visit the site of the fortress Nakijin, not far from Ocean Park.

Street KOKUSAI-DORI and Makishi market may be visited at NAHA.

www.soleilrouge.org

Mentioned in this post
Okinawa
Okinawa
Naha
Naha
New York, NY
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideal Itinerary for 4 days in Okinawa?

check to see if you need an international driver permit to rent/drive a car. this might be required in addition to your own country's driver license.

ferries to other islands leave from naha tomari port or motobu. if you need, see if you can auto-translate this page to find an island ferry schedule. http://www.shimanavi.com/

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideal Itinerary for 4 days in Okinawa?

It depends on how much you want to see on the way out of Naha I guess, but I would eliminate one of the hotel changes and stay either 2 nights by the aquarium or 2 nights in the south. Not that the drive from north to south will take quite a while.

Mentioned in this post
Naha
Naha
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
57,882 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideal Itinerary for 4 days in Okinawa?

The IDP mentioned is a requirement. From Australia, go to your local NRMA.

Naha as a city doesn't have too much to offer. Shuri Castle is the best sight. Koukusai-dori is just a bunch tourist-centric souvenir shops and restaurant street. I don't even think it's a must. The Peace Park at the south end of the Island is a good place to visit though.

For the aquarium visit, plan to go as early as you can so you can park as close as possible. I coincidentally went during the July Festival with fireworks and had to park at a remote parking lot and then take the bus.

Mentioned in this post
Naha
Naha
7. Re: Ideal Itinerary for 4 days in Okinawa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2015, 07:26
Get answers to your questions about Okinawa Prefecture