We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How worried should I be about dangerous fauna in okinawa?

slovenia
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
How worried should I be about dangerous fauna in okinawa?

I 'm going to Okinawa -main island (staying in Naha) for 3 days and then to Ishigaki for 4 days (starting next week). While checking the info on beaches I found some rather scary info about the dangerous creatures in sea and on land, such as the jellyfish (box and portugese one), neurotoxic octopus, snail and sea snake (yikes, are these often seen around beaches?). There's also habu snake.

I would like to go swimming while on Okinawa and Ishigaki and also explore a bit of the islands (nothing too wild, just tourist type stuff). How worried should I be to accidentally stumble upon one of these animals?

I was considering going snorkling (with a tour), but this info scared me off a bit...

Mentioned in this post
Naha
Naha
Okinawa Prefecture, Japan
Ishigaki
Ishigaki
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How worried should I be about dangerous fauna in okinawa?

Some swimming areas are netted off - you may wish to indulge. You might look into swimwear that covers more of you for your snorkeling adventures.

Honestly, I think jellyfish are usually the primary concern.

I know many Okinawans that have never seen a snake.

slovenia
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How worried should I be about dangerous fauna in okinawa?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,367 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How worried should I be about dangerous fauna in okinawa?

People go swimming, snorkeling and diving at Okinawa during the summer. If you use proper areas, I am sure the risk is very low.

Mentioned in this post
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How worried should I be about dangerous fauna in okinawa?

Jellyfish are the only real hazard, and if there is a swarm the beach is nearly always posted. More people are injured by sunburn than by critters there.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
8,957 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How worried should I be about dangerous fauna in okinawa?

I agree with all of the above. You're quite all right while snorkeling if you don't try touching any of the sea creatures you see in the water. Sea snakes won't attack you, ime, unless of course you're seeking trouble. I once got a bit panicky though while diving in shallow waters just off the rocky coast of a no man's beach on Miyakojima Island, where sea snakes were teaming on the bottom. Yes, I wore my speedo only, no vest or whatever except my mask, snorkel and fins, and I tried hard to not harass them, leaving my body afloat and pulled away by undertow. But that was about it. Though looking ghastly, sea snakes are a specialty in the local dish, I hear. ;)

Mentioned in this post
Miyakojima
Miyakojima
Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
551 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How worried should I be about dangerous fauna in okinawa?

I saw a few sea snakes snorkeling last Oct, one swam a couple of feet right under me but they didn't pay any attention to me. They are not like snakes on land, just leave them alone and enjoy seeing nature. I would be more concerned about Stonefish, I was getting ready to get out of the water, a wave pushed one very close to me and I would not want to step on one! I was a little nervous about snorkeling in Okinawa but like they said above don't touch, just look and you will have a wonderful time:-))

Mentioned in this post
slovenia
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How worried should I be about dangerous fauna in okinawa?

Thanks everyone for your replys!

slovenia
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How worried should I be about dangerous fauna in okinawa?

Well, I can comment now from own experience. I saw a sea snake when snorkelling and it was super cute. It was very curious, when it saw us, it came near to check us out and even popped its head out of the water a bit, but then decided we weren't interesting enough and swam away. Otherwise no jellyfish while snorkelling- I guess we were lucky.

Edited: 25 May 2017, 11:39
9. Re: How worried should I be about dangerous fauna in okinawa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2018, 05:16