We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best beaches for snorkeling

san jose
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
best beaches for snorkeling

Hi there

My hubby and I are avid snorkeling addicts and we have our own gear. Any good recommendations for snorkeling on okinawa?

We will be there 4 days, 3 nights.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best beaches for snorkeling

The best water and sand quality is not found on Okinawa Main Island, but the Miyakojima islands, the Yaeyama-Ishigaki islands, and the Kerama islands.

okinawa-information.com/content/okinawa-beac…

flickr.com/photos/…

san jose
Level Contributor
128 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best beaches for snorkeling

HI there

Thanks for the tip, one thing is how bumpy is the boat ride there? Also, what are the snorkeling conditions like, rocky entry or are there ladders for entry to water etc?

I am pregnant so need to get a bit more info about hows the entry like before heading out there.

I guess which places would be easy entry and easy snorkeling conditions?

Also, since we are staying on the main island, any recommendations for snorkeling beaches there?

We only have a couple of days and flights to Ishigaki are already full so I dont think we will be able to get there

Edited: 22 September 2010, 01:49
Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best beaches for snorkeling

Detailed questions as such are best answered by folks running local dive shops. I just Googled and found a few that are English-friendly. If flights bound for Ishigaki Island are full, then consider Miyakojima and Kerama.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,516 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best beaches for snorkeling

Had occasion once to visit Miyakojima and snorkel there. In my case, about 10min no-bumpy boat ride off the coast of the best sandy beach was the spot for snorkeling. If you get a rental car at the airport and head to Tokyu Hotel(25min drive), then you can see the whitest and very finest sands outstretched toward the ocean. The shallow seawaters right on that gorgeous sandy beach were a bit murky and fenced off 50meters from it probably for safety, so no fun at all for a snorkeler. Hence I needed to join the outing as a non-hotel guest for an off-shore snorkeling, for which I recollect paying 30dollars' worth. It was 15-20meters deep with as good, or possibly better than, a see-through as on Saipan/Guam/Maui/Big Island.

Hate this to sound a bit gastly, but at one other west-end beach on this island I noticed I was in the wrong place: countless snakes lay still down my mask on the waist-deep bottom as I was finning. Didn't get panicky, but so scared I was I swam off and waded back to the rocky beach for life...

Edited: 23 September 2010, 14:22
5. Re: best beaches for snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2011, 04:17