We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celebration Song

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,177 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Celebration Song

Hi there,

technically not travel related, but I figured this might be a good place to find someone who understands the Saga dialect ...

Can anyone tell me what 竜三さん is singing about in this episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYUdvbyE7vw

(the start of the song is marked in the info space)

Thanks in advance

thanks

7 replies to this topic
Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,186 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Celebration Song

Not sure, but are you not talking about this:

http://tinyurl.com/cxopglb

In the third post the OP goes like:

<<ああ、好いたお方を じんじゃ抱き上げてよ 私ぁ挫けぬ・・・

ああ、すいたおかたを じんじゃだきあげてよ

わたしゃくじゃけぬ

→ Ah, lifting Sweetheart into my arms

I won't lose courage...>>

"Saga dialect" is not at all familiar to me, so I can't reproduce what was sung in verbatim. Yet given the context in the video clip, I suppose the last part of the translation above should better be heard/contrued as an affirmative sentence. So in my take, it should be like わたしゃくじゃける (= my effort's got my steps unsteady), rather than "わたしゃくじゃけぬ," which oddly enough was given above as: "I won't lose courage."

In my imagination (only): a woman raised her boozed sweetheard somehow in her arms (to walk him home); she started to stagger, saying "わたしゃくじゃける...."

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,177 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Celebration Song

ah, yes, thanks ^_^

I am the katafei posting that question and I 'm still sorta hoping I can find someone who knows the song.

but thanks for your version of the translation!

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
23,966 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Celebration Song

I've also tried to find what's sung in that song. Japanese language has many words that are pronounced same but has different meaning (as you probably know from the various meanings of "Oshin"), and with extra dialect twist and period of time it's a bit difficult to understand. I am sensing that this isn't a particularly celebrating song, but he just sang his favorite song perhaps to warm up the party ... but not quite sure.

It would be better if we can find a script, but I don't know where to look for. NHK archives?

I've read that Oshin (the child age part) will be made into a movie next year.

It would be awfully difficult to be anything as good as the original one.

My grandma (a businesswoman and owner who survived hardships in a northern country and air raids during war) is said to have wept a lot seeing this series.

Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara, Kamikochi
Level Contributor
8,186 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Celebration Song

Oh-my-oh, katafei! I should've known better and minced my words: damage is done. Sorry. ;)

BTW, I'm amazed at your transcribing skill. Even a native couldn't do the job so well. Yet I hope you don't mind me here giving my further thoughts:

As you know, ”ぬ(=nu/ 'not' as in English)" and "る(=ru/ a commonplace conjugation used in colloquial Japanese )" are polar-opposites in meaning. To my ears and imagination, it resonated like: wata-sha kujake-ru (わたしゃくじゃける/ I am so staggering that I feel as if I am falling down). Yes I know others may hear/construe that sentence as a negative like you do: I am not going to fall down/lose balance (wata-sha kujake-nu/わたしゃくじゃけぬ). So 'nu' or 'ru,' that's the question.

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,177 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Celebration Song

I heard about that movie .... but as the series has about 300 episodes of 14 minutes, I can't imagine the movie capturing too much of the story ...

Still, I'd watch it

My version of Oshin has Japanese subtitles, but this particular song doesn't have captures (I'm beginning to understand why ^_^)

and yes, I can understand your granma might have shed tears ... a lot of my subscribers do as well .... (and so do I at times ...)

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,177 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Celebration Song

@shot, no damage done ^_^

(although of course now I'm kinda curious as to your handle on TJP.... :P)

thanks for the compliment and even more for your contribution towards the translation!

Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Guernsey
Level Contributor
5,177 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Celebration Song

this is what I hear: わたしゃくじゃける ..... ^_^

Reply to: Celebration Song
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saga Prefecture