We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sendai in October

Caro, Michigan
Level Contributor
471 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Sendai in October

We are looking to visit Sendai in October. Can anyone tell me a little more about what things are like there now? Is this going to be a quiet, visit work and then leave or will there be places and things for us to go and do after hours?

And, where should we go on day trips? Is it safe in the area now?

Thanks!

Kyoto, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kobe, Kyoto
Level Contributor
5,068 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sendai in October

My friends told me yesterday that the airport in Sendai looks great since it has re-opened but the area near there still looks bad. There are still piles of debris and piles of cars here and there. They said that they cannot remove the cars until they have found the owners!? It's a law of some sort according to what they told me. They did say that life is as usual and things look totally normal as you move away from the coast so if your destination is inland than you should not hesitate to go. They appreciate the business. (They were just there about two weeks ago)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
6,278 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sendai in October

Just heard over the news the other day that the annual Sendai Tanabata festival in August was on as scheduled but indeed attendance had drop, especially foreign visitors. It was the same for the people taking the popular cruise in Matsushima. But life in Sendai is slowly getting back to normal and the city needs foreign revenue. So do visit and I’m sure you will receive more than just a warm welcome.

Not recent but here are a couple of blog reports after Mar 11:

japan-guide.com/blog/…110421_sendai.html (Sendai)

japan-guide.com/blog/schauwecker/110421.html (Matsushima)

If you are going next month, try to go during the latter half of Oct. Late Oct to early Nov is autumn foliage season for Sendai. Within the city itself it is best to take the loople bus which is a hop-on-hop-off service between sites. For easy daytrips, consider Yamadera, Matsushima and Akiu Onsen. Yamadera is a MUST if you are visiting during autumn foliage season. See post no. 4 on a recent thread for some more suggestions on Sendai:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g298249-i8557-k4794…

3. Re: Sendai in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2014, 13:15