We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LADIES What do you pack?

Which Amboseli Eco-system hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
LADIES What do you pack?

One for the ladies out there that have been on Safari.

Can you tell me exactly what you take I am having a real job packing as you are speaking to someone that likes to pack everything!

What do you take for the evening, safari etc.

Help would be much obliged and if you want to come and pack for me you are more than welcome!!! LOL

Thank you

glasgow
Level Contributor
82 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LADIES What do you pack?

hi

went to sun and sands also 4 day safari

for the hotel i took 3 pairs of capri pants and 7 dressy tops, 2 cotton dresses and white trousers

for the safari i took 4 t.shirts 2 shorts , 1 3/4 combats, cardigan ( bit chilly for early mornngs )

1 of the dresses and khaki capris with 2 tops to be honest once we had dinner a few wines i was ready for bed as you are up early for your safari all the lodges had towels, so you dont need to take them , just take cheap tshirts for safari as they get ruined with dust i just left mine along with any other items ie sandles flipflops toiletries my husband came back with half of his stuff as he gave it to the locals , hope that helps any info you require just email me x

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LADIES What do you pack?

That is a great help how long were you in the hotel for?

Rwanda
Level Contributor
509 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: LADIES What do you pack?

Admitedly I pack light, but for safari:

1 x lightweight walking boots (merril or similar)

1 x birkenstocks

1 x shorts

2 x trousers (1 smartish linen for evening 1 cargo pantsish for day)

1 x fleece

t-shits/shirts dependent on how many days I'm away (I wear a clean one for evening dinner and then on safari the next day)

1 x lighweight jumper for evening/early morning

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
464 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LADIES What do you pack?

Do you wear shorts or trousers for safari?

Rwanda
Level Contributor
509 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: LADIES What do you pack?

I tend to wear trousers early morning and afternoon and then shorts around camp during the day and if there is a post breakfast activity (walk, village, drive etc). Also if you are staying at a camp a few days they will do laundry for you and remember even the 'upmarket' safari camps tend to be quite informal on dress.

glasgow
Level Contributor
82 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LADIES What do you pack?

we had 11 nights in the hotel also we done the dhow dinner trip and wassini island for the day

most of the ladies were casual but smart for dinner to be honest just take things that you can mix and match the usual things for hotel days but as someone posted you can have laundrey done and it is not expensive ie about 50p for t shirts £1 for trousers /gents shirts we had three different lodges to stay in while on safari so you can wear the same two/three nights if you wish then have them launderd on your return to the hotel

glasgow
Level Contributor
82 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LADIES What do you pack?

sorry i ment to say wear the same clothes for dinner !!

London
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: LADIES What do you pack?

My GF took several pairs of combats and largely wore those on safari. For the evening she had light linen type trousers or combats aswell. For most of the trip we were the only ones in the camp, so there was no need for formailities (but think most camps have informal dress code anyway).

The only time we wore shorts was during the afternoon inbetween drives. When we wondered around the camp or on the deck overlooking the river.

Overall we went for 10 days end of Nov, begining of Dec. It was too cold in the morning for shorts and mid afternoon the sun was quite strong, so if your prone to burning shorts aren't advisable. You have to remember the top will be down and you will be stationary quite often, so will have limited protection from the sun.

In the evenings we didn't wear shorts or tshirts as we ate al fresco around the fire, and the mozies are quite active. In particular the malarial mozies are most active at this time, so I would advise covering up. Although it can be quite warm still, so light clothing is still advisable.

As for tops, if your prone to burning light long sleeved tops are good. These are also good for the evening to keep the mozies off. Tshirts are also ok, if your skin can take the sun and good for during the day when you have access to shade.

A fleece is a must as it can be cold when you head out in the morning, but quickly heat up when the sun comes up. Also a hat is advisable to keep the sun of your head.

We tended to go through two sets of clothes each day, due to the heat. However, the campp had good laundry service, so we wore our most comfortably clothes a couple of times through the trip.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LADIES What do you pack?

I would strongly agree with Frusci. Depending on the time of year you are going, I was there in March and Kenya and Tanzania were VERY hot. There were a few days I took 3 showers just to cool down but I didn't swim in the pools. I will my next trip. I wore long pants during most days as I sunburn. In the evenings for dinner was the only time I could wear a long sleeved shirt and usually dressy capris and sandals. I thought I had plenty of clothes with me, but ended up hand washing (I took a small amount of laundry soap) in places where we stayed more than 1 night. I could not believe the color of the water coming off the clothes from the dust. We heard through the grapevine, that sometimes you didn't get your laundry back before you left so I decided to hand wash clothes. Because it was so dry, even a cotton t shirt was dry overnight. I took light weight hiking shoes but this trip, will take a lighter shoe that breathes through mesh. When stopping for a bathroom break, I always made sure I had a small roll of toilet paper, hand sanitizer and those wipes because we never knew what we were getting into. One of the best snacks I took along, and wish I had of taken more (if you like licorice) was Good & Plenties. They don't melt or crush and our driver loved them. I carried some nuts also because sometimes when they said we be to our next location by lunch, it might have been 2pm and we were getting hungry.

10. Re: LADIES What do you pack?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2010, 07:16