We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turtle Bay Beach Club

Which Malindi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
County Durham
Level Contributor
824 posts
Save Topic
Turtle Bay Beach Club

Hi, I am looking for some advice from all you lovely people out there.

We are thinking of going to TBBC in January and would like some tips on the best safari to do and why. I have seen that Abdul and Tunda tours come highly recommended.

Also what would be you top tips for things to do and see while there? I love to snorkel, so that is high on my list. I also noticed you can visit a butterfly farm, is it a nice place to go?

I know there are a lot of questions (and I am sure there will be more! haha) but thank you in advance for any help

Violet :-)

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,018 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Turtle Bay Beach Club

Its all very much a lottery and there's no guarantee that you will see all on your wish list.

The Mara is the size of the Isle of Wight whereas Tsavo is much bigger, about the size of Wales. When you drive through the reserves you are just seeing a fraction of what's out there. In Tsavo you can drive for miles and not see another vehicle whereas in the Mara if one bus spots something everyone is told by radio and all the buses converge. So there's a better concentration of game in the smaller reserve.

I'd definitely go to the Mara for the migration but if you just want a 2 or 3 day taster from Mombasa a road safari to Tsavo East and West will more than suffice.

County Durham
Level Contributor
824 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Turtle Bay Beach Club

Ahh, thank you it makes sense now. How long will it take to get to the Tsavos?

Also, are the Super Club rooms very different to Lomu rooms?

Sorry for all the questions but I keep thinking of things :-)

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,018 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Turtle Bay Beach Club

If you avoid the short cut which a lot of safari companies do as its not the safest of roads, you will have to drive back into Mombasa from TBBC. The journey from Mombasa island to Buchuma Gate, entrance to Tsavo East takes about 2 hours unless your driver insists on stopping at various curio shops. You then go on a game drive through the reserve arriving at probably Voi Safari Lodge in time for lunch. The next day you go onto Tsavo West.

The other way is to drive to Tsavo West which is a longer drive on the first day and do Tsavo East on the second day. Your safari should include a visit to the rhino sanctuary during the afternoon when they open to the public and a walk around Mzima Springs next morning. Make sure your driver locks the bus (including roof) at Mzima as its notorious for thefts from buses there.

County Durham
Level Contributor
824 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Turtle Bay Beach Club

thanks tembofan

Really helpful advice.

:-)

15. Re: Turtle Bay Beach Club

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 21:17