We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mida Ecocamp & Mwamba Field Study Centre

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
60 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Mida Ecocamp & Mwamba Field Study Centre

Has anyone stayed at either of these "budget" accomadations in Watuma? I am looking to stay in Malindi/Watuma for a week the end of August 2009 - I don't need luxury; but just looking for a little comfort. Thanks for any and all input.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mida Ecocamp & Mwamba Field Study Centre

We,ve not stayed there but went to visit during its construction, its a very intresting place but you are really out on a limb, its well off the main road near to the mida creek, if you look at this next link it gives you information on it as well as prices but the price list is for 2008.

It won't be easy getting out and about from there without your own transport but I,m sure the guys there could sort something out for you

watamu.net/mida-eco-camp/mida-eco-camp.html

Its really a nice looking place

Can't help with the Mwamba field study centre, sorry

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mida Ecocamp & Mwamba Field Study Centre

Hi Shirley

I visited both in January. Mida Ecocamp is extremely nice, with lovely staff and management (English and Italian I think) who are keen to be integrated into the local community. As Smudger says, it's a fair way from anywhere, probably 15-20mins drive from Watamu, but extremely nice. I think you'd probably want to have transport while you were staying there. I don't think you'd be disappointed. Obviously I don't know what you're looking for, but it's better for nature and culture people than beach lovers. There's no beach, you're in a tidal mangrove/bush area.

Mwamba is the old Plot 28 belonging to old Kenya hand Barbara Simpson, who died a few years ago.

http://www.arocha.org/ke-en/work/centre.html

A gently Christian-environmentalist group called A Rocha took it over. It's run in a very informal way. The rooms are fairly basic, but perfectly comfortable and good-value. It's quite young (mostly people in their 20s and 30s). I don't think there's any expectation of guests except getting on with other guests. Mostly they seem to eat together. It's not a commercial guest house in the usual sense. Anyway, have a look at their website. It's in a brilliant position, just a few hundred yards back from a superb beach and a good long way from the Watamu hotels a couple of km up the coast.

Hope that's helpful.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
60 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mida Ecocamp & Mwamba Field Study Centre

Excellant information - thanks for posting.

I have just had a reply that the Mwamba Field Study/Christian Centre is booked the week in August that I will be there. But they recommended a place called "Frog House".

Are you familiar with this place at all? Thanks

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mida Ecocamp & Mwamba Field Study Centre

The only info I can find is from an agency, quoting $25 per night, if you check the next link out and scroll down you will come to frog house and there are some photos

www.malindiagencies.com/watamu_homes.html

You can contact the agency on the following email

malindiagency@yahoo.com

I can't find a direct contact, maybe someone else can help

London England
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mida Ecocamp & Mwamba Field Study Centre

We have just spent 3 days at Mida Creek Eco-camp. It is a truly beautiful place and a really exciting project. We are in Kenya for a month and have found it quite hard to find projects which are for and by the local people, supporting them economically. The guys at Mida are just lovely! They know their area, the villages and the nature. They love it all and are proud of it. The Eco Camp is their idea and profits are ploughed back into the local community. You would not need your own transport - it is a short walk to the main mombasa-malindi road, with frequent matatus. We enjoyed several excursions with Sami - exploring the mangroves, canoeing in a dhow, and walking to the gede ruins. We are a family of 5 with twins of 7 and a 14 year old. We all gained something special from spending time at Mida Creek Eco-Camp. I would go again, no hesitation!

Jane

London England
Level Contributor
2 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mida Ecocamp & Mwamba Field Study Centre

Oooh - my daughter just reminded me to say how amazing the food was! Finally in Kenya, non-European delicious food! All home cooked and fit for a king! Plus the fire in the evenings and the walk to the coconut wine bar - oh just go and find our for yourself!

7. Re: Mida Ecocamp & Mwamba Field Study Centre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2010, 05:15