We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security in Malindi

Which Malindi hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Halmstad, Sweden
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Security in Malindi

Hi!

We have booked a trip to Malindi in october, with a few days safari in Tsavo thrown in. It is our 10-year anniversary and a dream come true - sharing this "second honeymoon" adventure with our 5-year old.

Like many others I am trying to follow the developments in Kenya via internet, wondering if it is a bad time to visit. Am writing in the hope that someone can say anything about the current situation in and around Malindi and travelling between Mombasa and Malindi by road.

I realise that a lot can happen between now and october and also that there is always an element of risk when travelling. I am generally of the opinion that crossing the road en route to work is a lot more dangerous than going to a city which has suffered a terrorist attack a while ago, but as I am travelling with a child I am a little worried, wondering what the situation is like after the recent unrest and violence. What is the general feel like? Are people worried/afraid? Is it very quiet, with tourists choosing to stay at home?

I have read a number of other forums on the "is it safe" topic but have not found anything recent about the Malindi area. Can anyone help?

uk
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Security in Malindi

malindi is in my opion ok people friendly safe to walk around day time

at night always get taxi or tuk tul door to door same as anywhere else

not a great deal to do there

where u staying

Halmstad, Sweden
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Security in Malindi

Thank you! We are rarely out in the evening, so night time security shouldn't be an issue.

We are staying at Ocean sports.

Malindi, Kenya
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Security in Malindi

Hi there

I live in Malindi and feel pretty safe. I go out at all times of day and night and haven't seen or felt any anxieties. At night there is a much higher police presence than I have seen in the past. More Police vehicles and lots of armed police in camouflage etc.

The Mombasa - Malindi road is fine. I think its a pretty dangerous road in any event as many roads like this are in Africa - Not from the terrorism point of view - but just all the other loonies driving etc. But I drive along that route regularly...

If you have the opportunity (on the route from Mombasa to Malindi) take your 5 yo to Hallar Park in Bamburi to see some wonderful animals at close range and huge Tortoises. Its a nice place.

Halmstad, Sweden
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Security in Malindi

Thank you for the response! Yes, I have heard that the roads can be pretty bad... Will make sure to travel by daylight. Thanks for the tip with the park. Sounds great! :)

Malindi, Kenya
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Security in Malindi

Over the last few years I have been watching the Police station in Malindi with interest. It is a divisional headquarters.

During the period of the kidnappings and murders in Lamu a few years ago, there was a lot of insecurity along the coast. At that time I was a little surprised to see the gates of the Police station wide open day and night. Lately at night the gates have been firmly closed. Today, in the middle of the day, for the first time, the gates were closed and well chained.

may be ominous! ...

Amsterdam, The...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Security in Malindi

Me and my friends are staying in Malindi now for two days. It feels totally safe and there is nothing to worry about. The only thing is that many people do stay away from Malindi, which means that there are almost no tourists. The bars and restaurants are empty which feels a bit disappointing. We were the only guest in places like 'I love pizza' which are even recommended by lonely planet. Great place and great food, but it is less nice to be the only guests. I think it is very sad for the people living in Malindi: their biggest income is tourism but there are now almost no tourists while it is high season! This means that everybody wants to sell you souvenirs (without harrassing you though) and it feels like you are their only chance of income. You do not have to worry about safety in Malindi, there is really nothing going on, the only thing is that more tourists should go here because now it lacks the atmosphere that it deserves.

Halmstad, Sweden
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Security in Malindi

Thank you for this up to date feedback! We keep following the news. Leaning towards going if matters stay as they are now.

uk
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Security in Malindi

Drove from mbsa to malindi yestetday on my bike . Road is not to.bad

malindi was busy around the town

karen blixen was busy but found out most of the touristd where from watamu

went to scorpio villas rhis time of year they are usually busy but only found a few tourists there

go and enjoy your holiday

Halmstad, Sweden
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Security in Malindi

Thank you! Sounds good.

Malindi, Coast...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Security in Malindi

Hey,

Speaking on behalf of other native people aka Malindians, I would like to assure you of your security as you look forward to your Journey. There have been isolated cases of insecurity, like any other city or town in the world. The town is heavily dependent on tourism. Therefore, your coming to the towns is a boost to the town. Please keep updated on what is going on in and around Malindi by visiting our local facebook page and website at http://facebook.com/malindians and http://malindians.com respectively