We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Samburu: views Larsen's vs Elephant Bedroom

Way up North, USA
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Samburu: views Larsen's vs Elephant Bedroom

We plan to visit Samburu for 3 night in August and I'm trying to zero in on lodging.

We are most concerned with views from the tent patio area or common areas. We'll be at the hotel in the afternoon relaxing so are most concerned with the atmosphere and views (not so much concerned with food or interior of the tents).

From looking at tripadvisor photos, Larsen's seems to have the nicest views from tent patios being nearer the river and it looks like great views from the pool with nice cushioned loungers. Elephant Bedroom sounds great with it being unfenced so more exciting for elephants etc in camp, but the views don't look quite as nice from the photos. If the views are comparable, it would be great to stay at the unfenced Elephant Bedroom.

If you've been to both or visited, which do you prefer for views and wildlife in or near the camp? Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

3 replies to this topic
Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Samburu: views Larsen's vs Elephant Bedroom

Hi,

we stayed at both places - both are lovely and i also would return to both, but considering everything, especially the views - my vote in all points for the Elephant Bedroom Camp.

This is for me the place to go.

We had Elephants 1m close to our veranda and it was amazing - also you can watch many other animal, but it is really a very special place for elephants - it will really be hard to find another place where you will come them in the wilderness so close (or they so close to you).

If you are having more questions or need more infos please feel free to ask.

Bye

Chrissy

Boston...
Level Contributor
819 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Samburu: views Larsen's vs Elephant Bedroom

we stayed at Elephant Bedroom.. no elephants visited but that did not take away from enjoying the property.. the birds who came to visit were so colorful.. one even sat on my husband's hand for a split second to get a bread crumb.. he LOVES birds and apparently, they love him too.. and yes, I captured it on camera.. so that was fun and memorable.. the mini-pool after a hot, dusty game drive was wonderful :)

the staff is attentive and very accommodating.. they did a cute song and dance for our anniversary.. Just be aware that they do charge extra for drinks when you check out.

I would definitely recommend and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Samburu: views Larsen's vs Elephant Bedroom

Stayed at both. Larsens Camp was the first camp setup in Samburu in 1987 when its was part of original owners - block hotels if i recollected correctly. Ideally, it has an excellent location in Samburu by the Uaso Nyiro River. The camp had a makeover around a decade ago when the new owners took. Since it was the first camp, it has one of the better locations in Samburu.

Elephants Bedroom - a much newer camp setup in the last few years ago, and also has an excellent river location. Service levels are excellent and guided game drives are equally professional too.

During my visits to both camps, i got to see elephants and general game on camp but it varied from visit to visit. Birdlife is superb too.

Both camps are equally very good but have a preference for EBC camp as it cost less and offers a better service as a much new camp. LC needs a soft refurbishment.

Visram

AfricanMecca Safaris

Reply to: Samburu: views Larsen's vs Elephant Bedroom
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Samburu National...