We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kota Tinggi

Which Johor Bahru hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Kota Tinggi

Hi...

I am staying in Singapore. I want to go on a one day trip out of singapore to relax and enjoy. At the same time I dont want to travel too far away from s'pore also..

Could any one please suggest me some good places? I am plannin on this weekend getaway. So would appreciate quick reply/suggestions...

Thanks

Malaysia
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kota Tinggi

Have you been to Pengerang in Johor?

The place is accessable via bumboat, from Changi Point jetty (same place as bumboat to P. Ubin). Clear your Singapore exit immigration at the booth near the jetty before boarding the bumboat. The bumboat leaves when there's enough people, if I remember correctly, 12 people. During peak season, there might be a queue for the bumboat.

At the Johor side, there are taxi drivers waiting outside the immigration building.

Get a taxi to the town. Have a seafood meal there, shop for some local snacks/fruits/tit bits/DVDs. You may arrange with the same taxi driver to fetch you back from the town. Get his contact number and pay for your trip on your return.

Beside just going to the town, some taxi drivers offer to bring you to a few places, for example the fruit orchard and ostrich farm. Negotiate with the taxi driver and agree on a price for the "package".

Remember to ask the boat man what time does the last boat leaves for Singapore.

Ultimately, some travel agent at Pearl's Centre, People Park and Golden Mile organise similiar day trip package to Desaru, which include Pengerang, fruit orchard and ostrich farm. The trip is by coach.

Hope this helped. Happy planning.

Ami

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kota Tinggi

Thanks a lot for your quick response.

I would consider your suggestions...

You had mentioned about Desaru. How is this place? How is Kota Tinggi? Is it worth a one day visit?

Johor Bahru
Destination Expert
for Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
980 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kota Tinggi

Desaru is a beach with several resorts/hotel there, if you like swimming then is OK or else nothing much there. Kota Tinggi is the old town of Johor with a famous water fall and night Firefly trip. I have a lot of Japanese friends tried this Firefly Trip before and they said is good.

As for the seafood restaurant are at Sungai Ringgit, the famous is Jade Seafood Restaurant which won the best seafood in Johor last few year at one of the programme of Channel U.

If you are driving from Singapore, then from JB to Sungai Ringgit will be around 100Km and certain location might have police speed check and double line overtaking. Take care.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kota Tinggi

As mentioned by Ping-i3, nothing much to do at Desaru.

I know people who go there for golf, at the Desaru Golf and Country Club. Some families go there on weekend for picnic at the beach. Others might check into the hotel/resorts there, spent a night or two, just relax by the pool. The sea can be quite choppy, the water is murky and IMO, not suitable for swimming, especially during the monsoon season(Nov-Mar).

For info on Desaru:

www.desaru.com.my

Kota Tinggi is known for its waterfall, popular spot for family picnic on weekends. I've seen before the water becomes muddy, like milk-tea color after a night of heavy rain.

If you are planning to drive from Singapore, it is possible to go to Kota Tinggi, Desaru and Pengerang.

Personally, I'd say that it's more fun going by bumboat via Changi. Once, together with my friend, we cycled to Changi Point, brought our bikes with us(on bumboat) and cycled to Desaru from the Tanjung Pengelih immigration. It's a scenic ride along the coastal road to the town where we had seafood, before contiued cycling to Desaru.

Ami

Malaysia
Level Contributor
839 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kota Tinggi

P/s: Do take note that Kota Tinggi is a flash flood area.

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kota Tinggi

Hi all..

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I have a few more questions...

I heard there is a resort near the Kota Tinggi waterfall. Does anybody have any idea about how good is this place? There is one other resort called 'Kota Rainforest Resort'. I would like to know which of these two will be more scenic to stay.

Also...has anybody tried Trekking or Mountain walk in this place. If so, please share your experience.

I have only 2 more days to decide and act.....

Johor Bahru
Destination Expert
for Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
980 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kota Tinggi

Heard this place before but never try. Sorry cannot help.

8. Re: Kota Tinggi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 02:19