We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corrupted Immigration Officers at the Second Link!!!

warsaw
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Corrupted Immigration Officers at the Second Link!!!

Hi,

Just wanted to warn tourists (especially Caucasians) about some incident that I experienced crossing the border between Singapore and Malaysia at Second Link. I was crossing the border with my Asian friend. When the officers saw me they checked my friend's passport and made him leave the immigration hall (they didn't want any witnesses). Then they satrted to make problems with my passport. First they asked how much cash I had on me. Then they made me wait for 15 mins claiming that I need to produce a plane ticket back to Europe. I told them that I was going to Johor Bahru City for shopping and on the same day I would be back to Sigapore where I was staying. They said the regulation had changed and kept emphasising "I am trying to help you". I realized they wanted a bribe. The scariest thing was that there was a group of them and everyone was just waiting for me to give them some cash. I told them I didn't understand what they wanted from me although it was very clear to me. When they realized they were not going to get anything from me they stamped my passport. Please, be careful there as it was a very bad experience for me as a tourist. It is unacceptable but I have heard from my Singapore friends that corruption is thriving in Malaysia everywhere. Take care.

Mentioned in this post
Johor Bahru
Destination Expert
for Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corrupted Immigration Officers at the Second Link!!!

Very sad to hear this message, we have the Anti Corruption Agency but still heard so many corruption cases happened. Just ignore them and say you don't understand what they want, they will let you go.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
9,606 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corrupted Immigration Officers at the Second Link!!!

This is bad,giving the country a very bad image.

Redang Island
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Corrupted Immigration Officers at the Second Link!!!

That main problem in Malaysia...every where have corruptions under governments service...Its a fact and reality ..corruptions cannot stop unless they make new law enforcement to them...shameful to Malaysian..

Mentioned in this post
4. Re: Corrupted Immigration Officers at the Second Link!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2010, 07:16