We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it advisable to drive from singapore to Cameron highland

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Is it advisable to drive from singapore to Cameron highland

Is it possible to drive from singapore to Cameron highlands in one journey ? Considering the distance of 675 kms, is it doable without getting excessively fatigued ? How are the highways ? How much time will it take ?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
509 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it advisable to drive from singapore to Cameron highland

While it is doable, I assume you will be taking some rest stops in between? It is a long way, over 8 hours but for most part of the journey you will be using the toll roads so that is easy. The last part, i.e. climbing up Cameron is the only difficult drive. Roughly 1.5 to 2 hours to climb up to Tanah Rata.

However, I would recommend stopping over at KL for the night if you have the time in case you will only be using 1 driver.

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it advisable to drive from singapore to Cameron highland

Presumably youre not one of those Singapore drivers with high-powered sports car that can do KL in 2.5 hrs, lol.

There are many rest stops along the Plus expressway. Pagoh about 1.5 hrs, Air Keroh 2 hrs,Seremban 3hrs, Sungai Buloh, or Tapah 6hrs nonstop average driving.

And the easier less winding route is through Simpang Pulai exit to northern end of Camerons rather than the old Tapah road to Ringlet-Tanah Rata :-)

Johor Bahru
Destination Expert
for Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
988 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it advisable to drive from singapore to Cameron highland

to cameron highland can rest at Alor Gajah & Sungai Puloh:

a) Via Tapah to tanah Rata: narrow and winding road from Tapah to Tanah Rata.

b) Via Simpang Pulai (northern side near Ipoh) to brinchang wider.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
7,513 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it advisable to drive from singapore to Cameron highland

The question is only something you can answer. If you are only used to driving one or two hours at a stretch, then it would be safe to say that you will find driving 7 to 8 hours tiring.

For me driving 7 to 8 hours is normal and something I do often. I would have no problem driving from Singapore to Cameron Highlands in one day. The roads from Singapore all the way to Simpang Pulai is a good tolled highway. From Simpang Pulai the road up to Cameron's winds up the hill but is certainly wider and better than the older road from Tapah up to Cameron's.

So it is best not to ask advice from other people but decide based on what you yourself are capable of. If in doubt it is best to break up your journey as others have advised.

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it advisable to drive from singapore to Cameron highland

Many people have done the drive from Singapore to Cameron Highlands in one day.

Start from Singaopore 2nd Link by 7am-7.30am. Don't go by causeway unless you stay near there, as the road is more complicated to reach the North-South Highway. With a couple of short stops at rest stops along highway to stretch / have lunch, you should be able to reach Cameron Highlands about 3 pm to 4pm. If you are a slow driver or need more stops, then you may be reaching at 5 to 6pm.

Begineers not familiar with driving in Malaysia should go by the new route via Simpang Pulai. The old route via Tapah is narrower, sharper bends, and more affected by landslides during wet season like now. This makes it a more dangerous drive. But the old route passes the Iskandar waterfalls which is quite nice.

One thing to note is that Cameron Highlands roads are quite narrow, usually 2 lanes (1 each for each direction). Any car waiting or stopping will block all behind and it is difficult to overtake. This means that during peak periods like school holidays mean traffic jams, especially around the main roads of the towns.

Also the new route comes from the opposite side of the mountain compared to the old route. This means you will reach brinchang before Tanah Rata, opposite from the old route. This will affect the time to reach your hotel depending on where you stay.

Hope this helps.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it advisable to drive from singapore to Cameron highland

I will vote for simpang pulai route. A few yrs ago when we went there from Ipoh, we went up by that route and was quite an easy drive. On our way down back to KL, we used the old route. What can possibly go wrong right? Nothing went wrong but gosh it was terrible with so many turns. We were so happy and relieved when we reached E1.

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it advisable to drive from singapore to Cameron highland

Thanks a lot, everyone. Having broken my journey at Melaka and at KL on the way back, I took easier way :-))) though now having driven to Melaka in 3.5 hrs only and the freeway drive being so easy and comfortable, I think I could have easily driven staright to Cameron !!! Thanks for your suggestions again. Appreciate it !!

Edited: 22 December 2012, 01:20
8. Re: Is it advisable to drive from singapore to Cameron highland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2013, 06:15