We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I visit JB or should I not?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
982 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Should I visit JB or should I not?

Hi guys ... I am sure we have some JB experts here ...

I read a lot about JB already, but I am not sure if I should go there or not.

I am quite often in Singapore and I will be there again twice in July ... plenty of time to visit JB, because it's not far and because it is expensive and/or difficullt to go there.

What would you guys recommend ... how long should I stay there?

Is there just one city center? I read something about a bay ... and some islands.

I am not planning to go to the beach ... just wanna do some sightseeing.

Any city which could be compared with JB? Is it big like Georgetown on Penang? Or smaller?

Any other place (except islands and beaches) near JB which are worth a visit?

I hope some of our JB experts will reply ;-)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,325 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I visit JB or should I not?

There are not a lot of experts for JB on here frequently. In the mean time, I tend to find their advice is to avoid JB unless you are visiting Legoland or Hello Kitty Land.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
223 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I visit JB or should I not?

The thing about JB is that it's widely spread. Legoland & Hello Kitty approx 30km from town. Kota Tinggi Waterfalls is approx 40km away. Desaru beach is 75km away. Air Hitam is 90km away.

In town is practically just shopping & taking photo's at Sultan Abu Bakar's Mosque.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
247 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I visit JB or should I not?

If you are into Theme parks only, allow 2 days here. You can either stay overnight or probably cross over the Causeway if you dislike the hassle of checking in and out of hotels.

If you are not into Theme parks, then probably a day trip from singapore would be good enough to have a feel of the city as well as trying some local food. Locations that Mr. Ahmad mentioned are way out of JB city. You may check out the waterfall if you are staying overnight for the theme parks as above. Desaru and Air Hitam are probably not worth venturing, IMHO.

Johor Bahru
Destination Expert
for Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
988 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I visit JB or should I not?

You need to clear you mind what is your main purpose to JB. If just old building or life style may be JB is not the one you looking for. JB now is attacting people coming for the 2 new theme parks (the next one will be opening by next year).

My personal opinion is coming JB for foods ( I still think that Local foods in JB is better and cheap compare with Singapore), golfing and relax then might can consider, the attraction location is around an hour by car from JB, if you have the transport then you can see around JB, the public transport is not so convenient like Singapore. One more thing JB hotel is quite cheap compare with Singapore.

Hope this will help.

Singapore
Level Contributor
10 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I visit JB or should I not?

JB is a good place to visit. However crime rate is high and you should take precautions. Dress simply and do not wear jewellery or Rolex watches. Do not go by the backlanes or you can be robbed. Go to the more crowded places. You can take a taxi to visit the Kota Tinggi Waterfall or the seaside at Desaru. However near Desaru there is a town called Sungai Rengit where you can get very good Chinese seafood. If you like shopping , try the AEON mall at Bt Indah or the KSL mall which is not far from JB.

6. Re: Should I visit JB or should I not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 06:19