We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Berjara vs Andaman - Oct 2017

Z L
London, United...
Level Contributor
220 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Berjara vs Andaman - Oct 2017

Hi all

We (a group of 4, including 2 elderlies and 1 child) are planning a trip to Singapore/Malaysia for October this year and hope to spend 4 nights in Langkawi. Having read numerous reviews/posts on Tripadvisor, we have narrowed down the accommodation to Berjaya and Andaman, both are nestled in rainforest with private beach.

The prices listed on the Expedia's website for Deluxe Rainforest at Andaman and Family Chalet at Berjaya are similar at the moment. The Rainforest Chalet at Berjaya is much cheaper though. As some reviewers on TA didn’t rate the Rainforest Chalet very high, I am a bit cautious about booking it. But we are not too fussy with accommodation, as long as it’s clean and comfortable, it will be OK.

What we are after are nice beach, nice pool, nice surroundings to explore, and more importantly, nice foods. I read these two resorts are both isolated, so we may have to eat in the resort during our stay. Between these two resorts, which one would you say has better foods/drinks and is better value for money as a whole? (I contacted Berjaya for restaurant menus, but didn’t receive any – I was informed the menus would be available in the resort.)

Would it be better to include breakfast when booking the accommodation, or pay for breakfast while in the resort?

Other suggestions regarding accommodations will also be appreciated. Our budget is ~ £1100 (4 people, 4 nights).

Thank you very much for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
Berjaya Langkawi Resort - Malaysia
Berjaya Langkawi Resort...
5,291 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
15 replies to this topic
Z L
London, United...
Level Contributor
220 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Berjara vs Andaman - Oct 2017

Sorry, typo in the title. It should read Berjaya.

Mentioned in this post
5,291 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
11,789 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Berjara vs Andaman - Oct 2017

Hi

Having stayed at Berjaya numerous times my comments will be regarding that hotel.

Berjaya is not as isolated as the Andaman and is in close proximity to one of the major attractions on the island - the cable car, There are also several restaurants at Telaga Harbour, which is a 10 min car journey.

Whichever hotel you book you would be better booking breakfast in your package,

Both hotels have lovely beaches but the Andaman beach is the better and I would say that the Andaman is more exclusive and "posher" than the Berjaya.

How mobile are your two elderlies? There are lots of steps and hills at Berjaya as the chalets are built in the rainforest and a certain amount of walking is necessary whichever accommodation you chose.

Hope this helps somewhat and good luck with your choice.

Lesley

Mentioned in this post
5,291 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,789 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Berjara vs Andaman - Oct 2017

Oh and BTW, October is the rainy season so expect it to do this ;o)

Z L
London, United...
Level Contributor
220 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Berjara vs Andaman - Oct 2017

Thank you, Lesley. I have read so many of your posts about Berjaya. :-)

My parents are in good health and mobile, so the steps shouldn't be a big problem for them. But it really depends on where the chalet is within the resort. If it is a 2K uphill walk, then I am sure most people will be exhausted. Do you know if there are many Family Chalets near the lobby/pool area? I was told Oct is the low season, so the resort will be under-occupied. How likey will the resort offer free upgrade?

Yes, I heard Oct is the rainy season.But it is at the end of the rainy season, isn't it? A friend said over there the rain comes and goes, so there will be a few hours' good weather every day. Is this correct?

How do you find the foods in Berjaya?

Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
5,291 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,789 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Berjara vs Andaman - Oct 2017

Hi

I am always at Berjaya in October and will be again this year, October weather is very unpredictable - a bit like the UK, but one thing is, it will certainly not be cold!

I enjoy all the restaurants at Berjaya, especially the Pahn Thai and the Beach Restaurant. You can get lots of snacks poolside and in the Lobby Bar, and there is also a good room service too.

There is a shuttle service around the resort, which is set in 70 acres of rainforest and is stunning, so you do not need to walk if you do not wish. There is lots of wildlife in the resort so if you are not a fan of geckos, lizards, monkeys, bats etc then the place is not for you and neither is the Andaman.

The family chalets are mainly on track 3, so it is an uphill walk but earlier this year the were renovating some slightly nearer so I imagine they could be ready now. Whether you will get an upgrade depends on occupancy.

Lesley

Mentioned in this post
5,291 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Pahn-Thai Restaurant
Pahn-Thai Restaurant
489 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Sydney
Level Contributor
494 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Berjara vs Andaman - Oct 2017

If the price is similar, why not try the more 'posher' one.. Looks stunning though I haven't been. Berjaya I have been to and in particular the family chalets, they are very small and basic, I have reviewed them on this website, I've also stayed at the premier rooms and they are much nicer.

Mentioned in this post
5,291 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
5,390 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Berjara vs Andaman - Oct 2017

The Andaman is remote meaning a stay there in my mind commits you to eat there. It's in a beautiful location. Our room was a bit tired when we stayed in 2016 and food is certainly not cheap.

The pool area is lovely as are walks on the beach. I enjoyed it but would likely somewhere else on a return visit.

If you want to go out, best hire a car. You could do this from the airport to solve the transfer issues. I used Kasina with a first rate experience.

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,342 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Berjara vs Andaman - Oct 2017

Dear Tazl,

My choice would clearly be Andaman.

The beach is certainly the best of Langkawi and much save re jelly fish than anywhere else.

Andaman has an ongoing project for corals etc which is truly amazing.

My favorite restaurant is Jala for seafood. Damn expensive but an amazing experience.

the spa of the Andaman is out of this world.

Staying here I would include breakfast although I do not know the prices.

Eva

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
Jala Restaurant
Jala Restaurant
519 Reviews
Langkawi, Malaysia
Sydney
Level Contributor
494 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Berjara vs Andaman - Oct 2017

Hi xaghraDream, I noticed your comments about the tired rooms and note that some other reviews mentioned the same, I have booked the Andaman and am hoping I have not paid for 'tired' rooms. Was it very bad? Or was it just not up to luxury standard?

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
5,390 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Berjara vs Andaman - Oct 2017

As the hotel markets itself as a luxury collection hotel, I did expect a bit more. The room showed signs of extreme wear, scratched floors and scuffed walls. They were simply a little underwhelming.

That said, I was there in 2016 so perhaps there has been a spruce up?

The ambience of the place is lovely, the pool area gorgeous etc. Someone would have to be very hard to please to have a complete downer on the place. Breakfast here is excellent.

Reply to: Berjara vs Andaman - Oct 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted