We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali or Langkawi?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Bali or Langkawi?

Hi, we went to Bali (Sanur) and Ubud last year and fell in love with the place. We are playing an another trip in July this year, taking in Borneo, Penang and KL along the way. We are, however, undecided whether to try a different area of Bali or visit Langkawi. For those of you who have visited both, what are the pros and cons? We loved the Balinese people and culture and don't just want a beach break. Thanks.

46 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
12,118 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali or Langkawi?

Hi

Bit of a difficult one!

Think you will find there is more to do in Bali and as you have been there before and loved it, then you do know what to expect.

Langkawi is very much a beach place, which is not what you are wanting and as you are trying other places in Malaysia then perhaps Bali is what you need.

You will find out that the Malaysian people are very much like the Balinese and are lovely and friendly.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali or Langkawi?

Thanks Steady

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali or Langkawi?

Hi nadine we are doing the opposite this year, we have been to Bali the last 3 years in May/June and this year coming to Langkawi for 8 nights, I have been before but not since 2002 and hubby hasn't been to Langkawi at all and then onto Thailand as we are actually wanting a chilled out beach holiday this time . Areas you might like to try in bali are possibly Amed or Candidasa up the east coast which are much quieter than down south ( we hate legian, kuta etc) which most of our time is up there or like we did this year spent 5 nights in Lovina up north, but depends how quiet or busy you like it. One thing we are really looking forward to in Langkawi in not having to haggle when catching taxis etc , the constant hassling in bali to buy things and the never ending drivers is really wearing a bit thin on us, we miss the bali of old when we first visited there in 1986 and again in 1997 !

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
561 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali or Langkawi?

Hi Nadine,

We used to visit Bali at least 3 times a year, but the constant "you buy you buy" eventually got to us. Love the locals and know they are only trying to make a living, but it got to the stage where you could not even have a meal in peace.

We wanted a change, and found Langkawi.

It was love at first sight. I have heard people describe Langkawi as it " is what Bali used to be", and I think that is a pretty good description.

For a tourist Langkawi offers lots of interesting options, and it seems to be easier to access them..

Bali has more options, but maybe too many , making it difficult to choose..

Langkawi is much more relaxed and laid back back.

Overall eating and drinking in Langkawi is cheaper than Bali (but someone may disagree with me on this).

Locals are sincere, honest and genuinely interested where you are from and how long your staying. Not saying the Bali locals arent as well, but Langkawi locals seem to have more time to sit and chat.

Shopping in Langkawi is not terrific, most of the beach gear comes from Thailand.

Eating out is wonderful and huge selection.

Climate is much same, but think Langkawi seems to have less rain...but we dont have control over the weather.

Langkawi is a very safe destination for tourists.

The above comments are just off the top of my head...not in any order and I hope will be of assistance to you.

cheers Janet

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali or Langkawi?

Janetw as I said in my post that's exactly how I feel so hoping Langkawi offers a more of the 'old bali' feel, I know it would have changed since I was last there but so looking forward to checking it out again and hiring a car and doing our own thing, something we wouldn't attempt in bali these days, did back in 1997 but no way now, far too chaotic!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
561 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali or Langkawi?

Hi Dianne,

Yes forgot to mention about the ease of driving in Langkawi.

Like you, we would not in a pink fit attempt to drive in Bali, but in Langkawi it is easy.

Life is much more relaxed in Langkawi in lots of ways.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bali or Langkawi?

Also consider , no Aussie Bogans in Langkawi. They can make a holiday a nightmare. They are infamous in Bali for their dreadful behaviour and lack of respect for the locals.

Cheers

Sean

Edited: 28 January 2018, 03:16
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
561 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bali or Langkawi?

Did not realize we had such a "reputation" in Bali, but expect you are right.

Its a number of years since we have been there.

Think the extra travel time to Langkawi is a "turn off" for some Bali regulars...lets hope it stays this way.

cheers

Janet.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bali or Langkawi?

Sean wasn't going to broach that but that's why we head to Candidasa in Bali, very few bogans up there, not lively enough, and yes Janet maybe being a bit further away is a good thing

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bali or Langkawi?

Humm well the comments on here have cast doubt whether Bali is for us

That said, thanks for everyone's honesty

Much more research to do

Reply to: Bali or Langkawi?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Langkawi