We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish in Cenang

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Jellyfish in Cenang

We have a few days in Cenang in August, are there likely to be jellyfish or will it be safe to swim in the sea?

10 replies to this topic
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
12,265 posts
237 reviews
1. Re: Jellyfish in Cenang

Hi

Jellyfish are present in the sea all the time so yes, they will be there in August. If you are intending to swim in the sea then you will need to watch out for them.

Alternatively chose a hotel with a pool and use that for swimming.

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
189 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: Jellyfish in Cenang

Firstly thanks for all your advice and tips, Steady!

I’m currently in Langkawi and there’s been a big jellyfish panic on Tengah beach this morning - don’t know if anybody has been stung but all the swimmers and paddlers are out of the water, and there’s a couple of locals on a jet ski with a net who appear to be searching the waters.

It is definitely an issue here, but we’ve been in the sea every day - I guess it’s a bit like the possibility of treading on an adder on moorland in England on a hot summers day!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
12,265 posts
237 reviews
3. Re: Jellyfish in Cenang

Hi

Thanks for your thanks - quite a rare occurrence....!

If you are swimming at Pantai Tengah, do watch out as there is a very strong rip tide in the waters there. Stay safe.

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,753 posts
279 reviews
4. Re: Jellyfish in Cenang

No problems to report at Pantai Cenang.

Ahmedabad, India
12 posts
5. Re: Jellyfish in Cenang

During my visit to Langkawi last week when i was walking on the beach at Cenang beach in the morning i spotted some thing on shore and thought its some plastic bag but when i checked by going close it was jelly fish but it was dead already. The high tide water might have thrown it out on shore.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
8 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Jellyfish in Cenang

Hi im going early March, any idea on the Jellyfish? And any idea on the current at the Pantai Tengah is it safe to swim in?

Newcastle, UK
Level Contributor
189 posts
39 reviews
7. Re: Jellyfish in Cenang

I was in Tengah last week, swimming in the sea every day - I didn’t go very far out, but certainly was not aware of any noticeable currents.

Saw one dead large jellyfish on the beach, but I guess they’re always present in variable numbers. The incoming tide brings numbers of small juveniles into shore - you can’t see them in the water, and they do give you little stings, nothing painful just noticeable - a bit like a mild stinging nettle for us British! It didn’t stop us going in the water, and the sensation soon passes.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
8 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: Jellyfish in Cenang

Thanks so much for the info @Mopezone1 :)

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,736 posts
38 reviews
9. Re: Jellyfish in Cenang

the beach at Tengah is well known for rip tides. please google 'rip tides' - you will find excellent information on what to look for, and how to behave if you get caught in one. rip tides are not constant - they can arise suddenly. knowing what to do can save your life.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
8 posts
26 reviews
10. Re: Jellyfish in Cenang

Thanks a lot for this important info! :)

Reply to: Jellyfish in Cenang
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted