We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thank You

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Thank You

Following the festive season, January in the UK is a dark, depressing, cold month, therefore, to escape this time of year, we always take our annual “summer holiday” during January.

Having recently returned from Sri Lanka, early March 2017; we commenced our search for our 2018 holiday.

Having visited Penang during the early 90s, we decided we’d like to visit Malaysia again, although much older now, we were unsure which part to select.

With the help and advice from Malaysia DE on TA, Langkawi appeared to suit our requirements, research commenced.

Eventually, suitable flight timings from & to the UK with Emirates, we decided on Langkawi, flights booked, next, we researched accommodation

We prefer 5* hotel accommodation, although not on the doorstep, yet within walking distance of shops, bars & restaurants, it appeared Meritus Pelangi Beach Resort just off Pantai Cenang suited our requirements.

Following direct contact with the reservations department, I accepted the rate for 14 nights BB accommodation for 2 adults

May 2017, flights and hotel now booked.

So, our view and experience of Langkawi:

Our chosen hotel was nowhere near the standard we expected, we’ve posted our experience under the hotel review section on this site.

We did spend a large amount of time sunbathing within our resort; however, the following are attractions we visited:

Sky cab, although a well established “tourist attraction” well worth the visit, review to follow.

Art In Paradise, part of the cable car complex, we found it interesting to say the least, worth the visit.

Langkawi Craft Complex, decided to visit here on a day the heavens decided to open (thankfully, only once during our 14 night stay did it rain during the day) nice choice and quality in comparison to the tourist strip based at Pantai Cenang.

Dining, due to issues within our hotel, we decided the complex wasn’t worthy of further financial investment, so, decided to eat outside, couple of places we decided on, Orkid Ria just on the entrance to Pantai Cenang, previous research recommended this establishment, although a queue on arrival, and fully occupied inside, the queue soon diminished, and well worth the wait, we visited this establishment on 2 occasions, review to follow.

Taj Mahal, located in the middle of Pantai Cenang, we enjoyed our evening meal here, although somewhat noisy due to larger groups, second visit was a much more pleasant experience, review to follow.

We visited a number of “local” restaurants located well off the “tourist strip” and found the food to be as tasty as the well established restaurants we’d visited.

Where required, we travelled round mostly by Uber, we had no issue with this service or the drivers each time we requested a taxi, majority spoke English well.

We found the beer prices in the duty free shops exceptionally cheap

We visited a couple of night markets, consisting of food, general merchandise, and clothing, although after our 2nd visit, we soon realised each “night” market appeared the same.

Not once did we experience harassment from the stall holders located on the tourist strip, our “thanks, but no thanks” was always retuned with thank you.

From the many places we’ve visited around the globe, fallen in love with, and when suitable, revisited.

We enjoyed our 14 nights in Langkawi; its unfortunate the issues experienced at our hotel tarnished our holiday, therefore, I doubt we’ll return to Langkawi, this maybe the result of our hotel experience, however, I'd like to thank each and everyone, especially Langkawi DEs for your help and advice, creating a memorable experience with our holiday

35 replies to this topic
Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
51 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Thank You

Yeah I’ve also noticed this. I’m paying £80 a night for what I’ve heard is the wonderful Edison in Georgetown yet nearly double that for the Meritus. I think Thailand does spoil you in the terms of quality of hotel you can get for your money (though I did notice on my last trip a lot of the prime location properties are really upping their prices) but if people like Steady are still returning time and time again after 20 years Langkawi must have something that’s worth the cost!

Helsinki
Level Contributor
637 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Thank You

What happened to your reviews? They are not pending anymore.

Watford,UK
Level Contributor
397 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Thank You

Not only that but a recent glowing review appears to be from a member of the wait staff without any attempt to hide her identity.

Not a good sign, Meritus people. Do not block the negative reviews and get staff to write false positive ones. Just sort the hotel out.

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,734 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Thank You

Which review Una?

Watford,UK
Level Contributor
397 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Thank You

It has disappeared now, thank goodness. I was going to report it but it looks like the moderators spotted it.

Reply to: Thank You
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Langkawi
Recent Conversations