We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Langkawi

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Langkawi

Hi All,

Just after a little advise, we're travelling to Malaysia in Sept this yr and staying in KL & Langkawi. Can anyone tell me what the weather will be like at this time of year - I've seen that some sites that say its the best time to go and to Langkawi and others when its the rainy season? - Don't know what to expect?!

Also, if anyone can let me know if theres plenty to see and do while we're there(As well as a relaxing hol), as I believe it's more relaxed than Penang and visited there quite some time ago now.

Thanks.

On the move !
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Langkawi

Langkawi is an easy going laid back (often overpriced) island. Quite different when comparing Penang.

If you want to bathe around a pool, read a book or fancy around of golf, well, its ideal.

There are a few places to see, cable car, Palau Payar, the very interesting " Field of the Burnt Rice " plus Underwater World.

The weather, thats touch and go ! Seems to be changing as last years rainy season did not work out as expected. You can visit anytime of year, you might get an hour of rain, it is very rare for it to rain all day.

Langkawi
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Langkawi

Hi,

September is the time of year when the South-west monsoon blows and we get more rain throughout the month. This is also the best time to see Langkawi - The padi fields will be green with padi starting to grow. The waterfalls will be a fantastic sight and appears magestic because they will be flowing with plenty of water.

However, you can still enjoy the beaches and sun as rain can sometime be sporadic. And the weather a little cooler than if you were to come in November through to March.

Langkawi population is small as compared to Penang and most of the time you can enjoy a lot of privacy. If your choice of hotel is right then you can really enjoy a relaxing holiday amist fine hospitality.

In terms of tourist facilities we have a fair share of the ordinaries like zoo, museum, cable care. But the real attraction of Langkawi and a must see would be the rainforest, the mangrove swamp, and the geological formations and the archipelago itself. Of course interacting with the locals too can be an attraction in itself.

On the move !
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Langkawi

Where is the zoo on Langkawi ? Do you mean the tropical bird park ?

On the move !
Level Contributor
699 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Langkawi

Could you also tell us whats on offer at the night market !

UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Langkawi

Thanks for all your advice, it's much appreciated.

In terms of currency, are we best getting it before we go, while we're there or taking travellers cheques? Also, how much can we expect to spend while we're there? - We're staying at the Berjaya for 10 nights and we'd like to get out and about and love to see the island and the wildlife. We enjoy meeting people and seeing other cultures and being apart of it - it's what makes our holidays!

Thanks in advance.

Langkawi
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Langkawi

Albert:

1. The Bird paradise has now got other animals included within their confines so I believe they qualify to be called a zoo.

2. Night market or Pasar Malam only have local fares on sale i.e food and foodstuffs for local people to buy. Nothing much in terms of tourist interests though. You may want to try some of the food on sale there.

Bubs:

Berjaya Langkawi is a very nice hotel to stay if you like nature. It is close by to the Mat Chinchang range and its waterfall and rainforest. The cable car is just outside its confines and within walking distance. It will take you up to the peak of the mountain for a breathtaking view of the island. I've been up the mountain but not on the cable car. I perfer the hard work of hiking up where I can enjoy the walk, look at the trees and collect medicinal plants for my personal collection and research.

Money wise - any tradeable currency is exchangeable both at the banks and money changers. You can bring either cash or travellers cheque. I believe TC is always the better choice for security purposes.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
59 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Langkawi

Hi Dukum,

How do you go about seeing "the geological formations and the archipelago itself. "

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,466 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Langkawi

Hi Bubs

If you want any information about the Berjaya, please get in touch as I have stayed there a number of times and am returning again later this year so I will be only too pleased to help.

Lesley

Langkawi
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Langkawi

Raj,

I believe they have such geological tours now properly organized since Langkawi has been declared a Geopark recently.

On a personal basis I have done the whole archipelago (Malaysian part) many times studying the rock formations for almost 10 years. But then I live on the island and I have much interest on the natural features of these islands and its flora. To view the whole features one would need a whole day out at sea may be from 9:00 am up to 7:00 pm.

Langkawi
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Langkawi

Raj,

I believe they have such geological tours now properly organized since Langkawi has been declared a Geopark recently.

On a personal basis I have done the whole archipelago (Malaysian part) many times studying the rock formations for almost 10 years. But then I live on the island and I have much interest on the natural features of these islands and its flora. To view the whole features one would need a whole day out at sea may be from 9:00 am up to 7:00 pm.