We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pantai Chenang - Car rental or taxi?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Pantai Chenang - Car rental or taxi?

Hi, I will be visiting Langkawi by end of September for 3 days and will be staying at a hotel in Pentai Chenang area, so I am wondering should I book a car rental or can I rely on taxi or grab? I want to visit cable car, eagle square and the beaches around if I can. Also, what is the parking situation in Pentai Chenang, as I see the hotel is on quite a busy roads with loads of other hotels and restaurants around.

10 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
575 posts
93 reviews
1. Re: Pantai Chenang - Car rental or taxi?

Hello, Before you make up your mind, I would suggest you contact your hotel to see if the have guest parking

If they do, then I would suggest hire a car to give you more freedom for sightseeing during the day.

If they don't then I would rely on Grab or Taxi...both pretty cheap.

Would not recommend trying to drive in Cenang Road restaurant strip evening or night. It is impossible. Walking for local restaurants is the best way or Grab or Taxi if going further afield.

Cenang Road parking is now mostly taken up with taxi's or motor scooter hire shops...not unusual to see 20 motor scooters taking up 6 parking places...and a dozen or so taxi's waiting for a job. No one seems to worry about this. Local business owners must be missing out on a lot of business as there is no where for customers to park.

We live in Cenang, and would not even consider trying to drive Cenang Road at night...wall to wall traffic.

Hope this helps

Janet

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Pantai Chenang - Car rental or taxi?

Thanks for your reply Janet! That helped allot.

My hotel doesn’t have a private parking space, just nearby parking on the roadside. I am only worried of the in availability of grab/taxi in secluded places like the skycable or far away beaches. Kuah seems like a busy town so coming back from kuah to chenang shouldnt be problem, right? Do you think I should book a taxi by the hour for visiting places like skycable and tanjung rhu beach? Or I should be able to get a taxi/grab in the evening to get back to chenang area?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
575 posts
93 reviews
3. Re: Pantai Chenang - Car rental or taxi?

Hi there.

You will not have any problems getting a taxi or grab. We used grab twice last night and the longest we had to wait was 8 minutes. Most taxi's will do a deal on a "all day fare" if you tell them where you would like to go and approximately what time.

We have never done this but Lesley who is a langkawi expert recently posted a all day fare as low as MYR 120.00 I think. If you are reading this lesley you may like to comment.

You are only on the island for 3 days?? Personally I would not bother with car hire. If you see some where you would like to go back to, then may be just hire for the day on your last day.

Let's know how you go.

Cheers Janet

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
12,225 posts
237 reviews
4. Re: Pantai Chenang - Car rental or taxi?

Hi

It sounds as though hiring a car would be more of a hassle so perhaps using taxis or Grab is the best option for you.

You will have no problem getting a taxi at the cable car but may struggle at Tanjung Rhu.

A 4 hour tour of the island by taxi costs 120RM plus extra for anything longer. The taxi prices are fixed and regulated by the Government.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
110 posts
37 reviews
5. Re: Pantai Chenang - Car rental or taxi?

Janet you state on your profile that you are from Perth.Then you say you live in Chenang...maybe you need to change your info.

India
Level Contributor
34 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: Pantai Chenang - Car rental or taxi?

Sorry but the information you have been given isn't quite accurate. I hope your trip has already started so this information may be a bit late. Now a days, Cenang beach road isn't as conjested and you will definitely find ample parking space. If you are not renting, definitely get a SIM card and use Grab. The red and yellow govt. regulated taxi should be your last option and they are almost double the cost of Grab (sometimes more). E.g. Prepaid govt. taxi costed us RM32 from airport to hotel whereas Grab on the way back costed only RM12. I'd strongly suggest to rent a car or a scooter if you are staying in Cenang beach area and you plan you plan to visit Skycab and Wildlife park etc. since both these places are almost 25 KM away anf you may end up paying a significant amount for taxi or Grab both ways. Not to mention, the convenience of driving around.

Petaling Jaya...
Destination Expert
for Malaysia
Level Contributor
8,187 posts
113 reviews
7. Re: Pantai Chenang - Car rental or taxi?

Can't agree with you there. I was in Langkawi last week and to say there is ample parking in Pantai Cenang is stretching the truth. Cars are parked along both sides of the road and was almost always full. Had to circle around a few times before getting to park.

I always rent a car while in Langkawi as I enjoy the freedom it gives. And you get to see the best and quieter parts of the island at your leisure. But the choice is up to you. No right or wrong about it.

India
Level Contributor
34 posts
21 reviews
8. Re: Pantai Chenang - Car rental or taxi?

I was there two days ago, and except for maybe a couple of hours in the evening the parking space was indeed ample. I think OP's trip would have already started so our discussion might jot be very relevant to OP.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Pantai Chenang - Car rental or taxi?

Thanks everyone for your help! I ended up relying on grab after all. It cost us almost the same as renting a car there (minimum i found was rm90/day for an axia). I had little trouble getting back from skycab area, got a grab after 20 mins around but thankfully didn't face a no-driver available situation at all. Over all, I found the Chenang beach area less crowded and parking was available if looked for closely. But grab has its own convenience ofcourse and if you don't know the island, the local drivers are helpful enough to guide you.

So overall, good experience after all! :D

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
575 posts
93 reviews
10. Re: Pantai Chenang - Car rental or taxi?

Thanks for taking the time to pass on your feedback.

Cheers Janet

Reply to: Pantai Chenang - Car rental or taxi?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted