We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The datai or the westin

Dublin, rep of...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The datai or the westin

Hi,

we are going to KL for 4 nights and then up to langkawi for 7 nights for our honeymoon in Dec.

At the moment its between the datai hotel or the westin, there is aprox €1800 in the difference of the two for accomodation obviously the datai the more expensive.

Is it worth the extra money, taking into consideration it is our honeymoon?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Leeds
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The datai or the westin

Hi

Depends what you want from your holiday. The Datai is at the top end of the island and is quite a way from anywhere and very secluded whereas the Westin is within walking distance of Kuah Town.

The beach at the Datai is beautiful whereas at the Westin beach is not so nice. The Datai is set in a rainforest with lots of wildlife to see so if you are not into nature and animals and want to be closer to town then go for the Westin.

If I had a choice I would go for the Datai but others on here may have different views. After all it is your honeymoon but you should bear in mind that December is an extremely busy time in Langkawi especially if you will be there close to Christmas. The hotels get booked out really quickly so don't think about it for too long.

Lesley

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The datai or the westin

hi.

we stayed in westin.it is a very fine luxurious hotel.while in langkawi we went for dinner at the four seasons hotel-luxury beyond imagination!

if i were you i would try four seasons.

Langkawi
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The datai or the westin

a DIFFERENCE OF 1800 EURO??? for 7 nights

Seems really strange to me! Thets almost 250 euro more per night are you realy sure?

kind regards,

Langkawilover

Paris, France
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The datai or the westin

Hi Langkawilover,

It ain't strange, i think its normal. Datai rooms start at RM 1150 for the deluxe and Westin for only RM 600 for the car-park facing rooms. Thats a difference of EUR 100 ? But is he is comparing the Superior/corner/pool suites to the standard rooms at the Westin, its can go up all the way to a price difference of EUR 965 per room per night.

Yes, the Datai is definitely worth the stay and the price, but maybe its best to get the Deluxe rooms for EUR 233/RM 1150 from the hotel directly. I guess your price quote is from a travel agent?

If you want to enjoy time and be secluded during your honeymoon, the Datai is worth the stay. I found the Westin very crowded the last time I stayed there (it was July and the place was full of Arabs!) and the beach is nothing spectacular. Only good thing about the Westin is that you are in Kuah town in a few minutes for shopping and dining. Datai has a great (almost) private beach and the rooms are nice. You might also want to check the Andaman out, its just next door to the Datai, level of service is better and they pamper you more than the Datai. We get free chocolate truffle cake, roses on the bed and bath and a bottle of champagne from Andaman every year for our wedding anniversary :)

Windermere
Level Contributor
48 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The datai or the westin

Hi

As your trip is part of your honeymoon I would consider the Westin and book one of their private villas with pool, we have just returned from the Westin and I can recommend the Villas, you can be private and have your own butler and if you wish your meals cooked and served to you in the villa.The accomodation is extreemly luxurious and the Spa is excellent and very cheap compared to European standards.

Enjoy.

Langkawi
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The datai or the westin

Ya! Comparing a superior/corner/poolsuite Datai with standard room Westin then I agree. But thats like comparing apples and pears!!!!

Have a great day!

By the way 34 degrees today!

kind regards,

Langkawilover

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,075 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The datai or the westin

Hi Mcdd,

if you do not plan to leave your room and you really want to be alone, the villas at the Westin are nice. But apart from the that the resort needs a lot of make up. The gardens are very poor and certain areas are still under construction.

Although the resort is closed to Kuah (the capital, but nothing special for tourists) it is remote.

I would without discussion vote for the Datai! Even though it might be more expensive the value for money is great! Do not forget to go to the Gulai House, next door at the Andaman. A highlight in life!

Eva

Dublin, rep of...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: The datai or the westin

Thanks everybody,

I think you have all confirmed what our own choice is, and although alot more expensive i think were going to choose the datai.

We are aware its costing more money but at the same time were arriving in langkawi at a peak time of year at xmas so we knew we were always going to pay above the odds.

Thanks again for your help!

Langkawi
Level Contributor
611 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The datai or the westin

You will have a wonderful honeymoon!

Dont forget to book a Spa treatment its so great up there!

kind regards,

Langkawilover!