We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MY REVIEW of online agent ---www.agoda.com

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
169 posts
6 reviews
MY REVIEW of online agent ---www.agoda.com

Dear friends,

RE: Review of www.agoda.com

I believe many travellers at different stages do rely on some on-line agents for hotel rooms reservation. Many also enquire for reliable agents in the forum.I think after full payment of fee in return for pre-paid accomodation vouchers, each customer deserves the paid service contracted with the oline agent. Otherwise, we shall be deserted in the streets in midnight without a place to stay in an unfamiliar environment!

Below is my personal experience (in chronological order)to share with you. Content is self explanatory for your evaluation. I am satisfied as an insurance/safety net was offered to me.

--------------------------

To: postsales@agoda.com

'Dear Officer,

I always find Agoda a good service provider. Recently, I made several paid bookings.

Just 30 minutes ago,I made reservation as confirmed below.

However,very surprisingly, when i then check with the online reservation of www.geopark-hotel.com direct, I find the daily rate of 29/Aug/2008 for one superior room is 138 MYR only.Well below your guaranteed low rate. What is the meaning of Agoda's guarantee LOW rate when it is even far higher than the hotel direct sale?

Please may I have an explanation by return mail. Thanks

Tak Kin FUNG'

Issue: Within minutes, I found the room rate offered by Geopark hotel direct sales being lower than that of Agoda ( againt your policy of lowerest rate guarantee ). You may enter the hotel web page to check.

I request for Agoda's explanation and enquire whether I can change to another hotel.

Please revert.

Tak Kin FUNG

6:35pm HKT 21/08/2008

------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 07:03:55 -0400

Dear Tak kin FUNG,

Thank you for your email.

Regarding your below email. Please kindly submit the claim form for Lowest Rate Guarantee by use the form with details in our web site.

http://www.agoda.com/info/agoda_policies.html

-------------------------

Refund For Booking

Sent: Monday, September 01, 2008 1:24:56 PM

Dear Mr. FUNG,

With reference to your booking at the Geopark Hotel Oriental Village from AUGUST 29, 2008 to AUGUST 30, 2008, we have processed your refund as requested. Please note the refund details below:

Original Charge on AUGUST 21, 2008: USD 51.73

Actual Stay Charge: USD 40.58

Refund to Credit Card: USD 11.15

-------------------------

Subject: RE: Refund For Booking

Dear officer.

No problem. Fair, Agoda honours its guarantee terms.

I shall write a short note to Langkawi/Malaysia forum of http://www.tripadvisor.com/

Rgs

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,890 posts
89 reviews
1. Re: MY REVIEW of online agent ---www.agoda.com

And if you had not picked up the discrepancy in the first instance?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
2. Re: MY REVIEW of online agent ---www.agoda.com

Well at least they did the honourable thing.

Genuine mistake ? Perhaps.

Lucky you checked the rack rate yourself.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: MY REVIEW of online agent ---www.agoda.com

For our trip away this year, I decided to not use a travel agent and with the help of Trip Advisor and various other sites (although mainly TA) I have managed to organize our holiday just fine, AND more importantly, save about $800NZ, which is about $500US at the moment(roughly).

Ok, I got a bit luck when booking our MAS flights...checked the prices on the Friday night, made the booking the Saturday, and it was $200NZ cheaper ! lucky break :-)

But also, the accommodation recommended by the Travel Agent we got an initial quote from, was for "Federal Villa" and that got really bad feedback on TA and some other sites.

In the end I ended up ringing the hotel of choice, confirming reservations, and got a confirmation email in less than 15mins !

All in all, IF you have the time, as it does mean a few nights sitting on the internet researching, I would recommend avoiding Travel Agents and doing it yourself. It all adds to the adventure in my opinion :-)

I know I will be from now on !

Jeremy

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
169 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: MY REVIEW of online agent ---www.agoda.com

Yes, Jeremy, i shall start to practise your way. As a resonance to your experience, I am sharing my sour experience recently encountered with another unreliable agent.Hope that we backpackers can be in a better position in the future.

I quote what i wrote in late August with title Langkawi Warning-rate up after hotel voucher confirmation.

"This is my first time booking room of langkawi thr self claimed international web site. With attractive rates, I get hold of email confirmation and printed voucher confirmating 3 nites. In Hong Kong, voucher confirmation at hands means contract concluded! No idea the meaning of voucher in internet dealing.Further,room Fee paid by card done and collected some ten days ago!

What sour experience? You judge Yourself by reading the mail below. (I remove some personal info only, never change one alphabet of the sender's message)

Quote:

Reservation for Bayview Langkawi Hotel‏

Sent: Friday, August 15, 2008 4:20:05 PM

To: (my personal ac removed)

Cc: reservation@gtahotels.com

Booking Tracking Number: GJ-(personal code removed)

Dear Mr Fung,

We are pleased to advice hotel advertise the price of 19 EUR per room per night by error in our website however they do honour this price for 27 & 28/08 and however the hotel have right change the rate for 29/08 and they already change the rate as 43 EUR per night for 29/08. "

Philadelphia
2 posts
5. Re: MY REVIEW of online agent ---www.agoda.com

Dear Friends,

My name is Anchal. The same happened with us for our NewYear booking in Rio De Janerio, Brazil.

I am sure Agoda is a fraud company. Please beware and avoid them.

We paid Agoda USD 1325.0 but towards the end of our stay the hotel gave us the invoice of only Reals 2085.0 by the Hotel which is equal to US 875 approx. So technically Agoda overcharged us US$ 450 approx.

I have been in touch with Agoda for the last 20 days and no one helps us. We just get the answer that they are waiting for an email reply from the hotel. If the hotel never replies it is Agoda's responsibility to call the hotel and resolve the matter. We have sent all necessary documents to Agoda.

we were shocked to see the Hotel rack rates when we visited the Hotel. It was much lower than what Agoda charged us.

We are feeling cheated. We thought Agoda is a trustworthy company. But they are not helping us. I want my money back.

In fact at the time of check-out when we were shocked to see lower rack rates and lower invoice amount, the Hotel said they would only charge Reals 2085.0 on Agoda's credit card.

They also advised us to take a refund from Agoda.

We are feeling cheated. And after several attempts of contacting Agoda they dont seem to be in mood to give a dollar back.

If I get my money back I will certainly write back in this forum to inform all of you.

Philadelphia
2 posts
6. Re: MY REVIEW of online agent ---www.agoda.com

Hi Everyone,

After a lot of struggle with Agoda they agreed to refund me the money.

I am very happy and certainly would like to say they are not a fraud company. I have not yet received the money as it will take a few more business days to come through the banking channels.

I guess, it is not that bad to rely on Agoda ....

thanks

IndiaMusafir

7. Re: MY REVIEW of online agent ---www.agoda.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 08:18