We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Cruise - what if weather is bad?

world
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sunset Cruise - what if weather is bad?

Hi - am comtemplating going for the sunset cruise but am worried about what will happen if the weather turns bad. Curret weather forecast seems to suggest thunderstorms.

What's the weather like in Langkawi right now? Also what typically happens if a thunderstorm starts during the sunset cruise?

thanks

ltt

Langkawi, Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Cruise - what if weather is bad?

We had 10 mins rain today.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,332 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Cruise - what if weather is bad?

Did you time it Bas? lol

Lesley

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
6,973 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Cruise - what if weather is bad?

Dear Itt,

last week we had quite some wind and a few really bad thunderstorms. Nothing lasted more than 15 minutes.

I went out on the boat every single day and never ever had a moment feeling uncomfortable or even unsafe; nor my guests, nobody ever got seasick.

Normally the weather changes quickly! And a tropical thunderstorm is quite something!

The weather right now comes from the south west and if you cruise on the other side of the island, you are so protected as the many islands surrounding us guarantee protection.

As I have mentioned in many other posts, the highest waves come from the ferries or a tsunami every fifthy year.

After extensive sailing for almost 20 years, including Atlantic and Pacific, I would say Langkawi's water are the most beautiful and safest that I ever came across.

Now you might understand why I settled down here.

Eva

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
6,973 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset Cruise - what if weather is bad?

I just need to add: on a longboat such weather could be a nightmare but all heavy bigger yachts going out for professional sunset dinner cruises are prepared for the rain and are operating in a protected area.

Sunset today on the ocean was just amazing!

Eva

Langkawi
Level Contributor
868 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset Cruise - what if weather is bad?

This must be one of the driest late july/early Aug ever! The waterfalls are all dried up. In August!

Patrick

India
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset Cruise - what if weather is bad?

Hi,

What are the good sunset cruise options in Langkawi and what is the approximate cost of the same? I'm traveling to Langkawi in the first week of october and am planning to explore Island Hopping Tour and Sunset Cruise. Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

DBH

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,705 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset Cruise - what if weather is bad?

DawntoDusk, I just discovered today that Blue Water Star sailing do a cruise starting at 2pm and finishing at 8pm. It's perfect for me as I want some site-seeing and also to see the sunset, I'm very pleased I can combine them on one trip. And they get fantastic reviews on TA so I'm sure it will be a great day. Can't wait!

Perth
Level Contributor
120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunset Cruise - what if weather is bad?

Kali... you will love your trip with Eva's crew... absolutely magical if you are after a fun, down to earth, unpretentious but quality time! I cant wait to get back to beautiful Langkawi next month with my family... counting down the days! :)

9. Re: Sunset Cruise - what if weather is bad?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2010, 05:17