We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Penang

Barbados
Level Contributor
569 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry to Penang

Hi,

We're looking to get the 2.30 ferry to Penang on Tuesday. Is it cheaper to buy your ticket at the port rather than through a tourist office? Also, if we choose to just get the ticket at the port is there any danger that this ferry would be fully booked up and we wouldn't be able to get it?

Thanks!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,114 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Penang

HI

The ferry is really so full that you can not get a ticket.

We always book our tickets from the quay a couple of days before the day of travel. If you use an agent you have to allow for their handling fee to be added to the ticket.

The 14:30 is the longer of the ferries trips as it stops at Palau Payar to pick up the day tripper tourists to take them back to Penang. Both the 14:30 and the 17:30 arrive into Georgetown not far from each other at around 7:30-8pm.

Have a great one

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Penang

I had travelled by the 2.30pm ferry in 2002. Its a nice experience. Being a 2 hulled catamaran, the there is not much of sideways rolling, but if the sea is a bit rough, there will be plenty of heaving and bouncing up and down. If you are not used to sea travel, I would advise you to take motion sickness pills before you start the journey.

Barbados
Level Contributor
569 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Penang

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind about the motion sickness pills as I do suffer from it at times!

Is the 17.30 ferry also always full meaning you can't just buy the ticket a couple of hours before it?

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to Penang

I dont know about the 1730 ferry. As for the 2.30pm ferry which I had travelled, I booked the tickets 2 days in advance and the ferry was pretty full. As mentioned by mitch, they also picked up passengers from Pulau Payar enroute.

Barbados
Level Contributor
569 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry to Penang

Thanks for the help with this.

We ended up going ofr the 5.15 ferry, arriving at the port around 4 o'clock and getting our ticket there without any hassle. It cost us RM60. There wasn't any problem just showing up and getting a ticket; the ferry was probably less than half full. The journey was longer than we expected, we didn't arrive into Georgetown until close to 8.30. Certain areas in the ferry were absolutely freezing so beware of this! People looking to go on it should bring warm clothes just in case!

6. Re: Ferry to Penang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2010, 05:16