We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pantai cenang restaurants

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Pantai cenang restaurants

Will be arriving past dinner time and looking At the map, Pantai cenang is nearest to the airport. With 3 hungry kids, don't think I have the luxury of time to hunt for a good restaurant so would appreciate some recommendations pls.

May visit the beach again on the last nite. Wondering if the highly rated casa del mar restaurant is suitable for family dining? Also what is the price range like for the food?

Tks

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,109 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pantai cenang restaurants

Dear Octopusmum,

there is a nice and damn cheap Indian/Malay on the main road of Cenang next to Red Tomato. They are open for 24 hours. Try their garlic nan and tandoori chicken .

Casa del Mar is an excellent restaurant. As it is right on the beach it will be nice with kids if you can get a table next to it. As the tables are comparetively far from each other, I would say it is ok with kids. But you could go there for a sundowner to the beach bar and then decide. Normally you do not need to book in advance.

Food is of course more expensive but I have never regretted spending it.

Eva

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pantai cenang restaurants

Hi Eva,

My kids r not trained to take spicy food yet so the Malay/ Indian food is not really suitable. Wat about the red tomato? Have heard someone mentioned it but not sure if it is good?

As for casa del mar, what food do they serve? Any recommendations? And what is the price range like? Tks

Langkawi, Malaysia
Destination Expert
for Langkawi
Level Contributor
7,109 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pantai cenang restaurants

Dear Octopusmum,

the food I have mentioned is not spicy at all. And they make fried rice and noodles. You can tell them not to spice it up.

Tanja's Red Tomato Garden Cafe is a bit further down the road and nice for pizza, salads and pasta. Prices are reasonable. She is closed on Fridays and the other days opened until about 11 pm.

Eva

Singapore
Level Contributor
122 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pantai cenang restaurants

Hi ! For Pentai Cenang area, you may wish to try Orchid Ria for seafood....good varieties, prices slightly above average. We tried Red Tomato too...food is good, our kids had the fried noodles, fried rice....we found the naan very authentic and the curry was not exceptionally spicy :)

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pantai cenang restaurants

the restaurant at c.d.m is advertised as romantic, a destination for couples and honeymooners. there is no children's menu and the prices are high, as you would expect.

for family dining, consider sundays bistro, fat mums or orkid ria. all of these have non-spicy selections.

pam

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pantai cenang restaurants

HI all

will be going to both wonderland and GLK for dinner on 2 of our 4 nites in langkawi. Orkid Ria and fat mums seem to be similar to the former 2 restaurants but charging a higher price.... as for sunday bistro, some of the reviews on TA weren't good. r there any difference between orkid ria/fat mums and wonderland in terms of food? if i would like to have western food, what r the other choices besides casa del mar at cenang beach?

thks

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pantai cenang restaurants

other people may well recommend places, but can i suggest, you save some of the planning until you get there. it is possible to over - plan!

i am imagining you charging your poor family around langkawi at break - neck speed, madly ticking boxes on your checklist as you go.

why don't you take a slow walk down the street, read the menus, see what it looks like, see who else is there, and choose something you like?

above all; langkawi is for RELAXING

pam

Essex
Level Contributor
128 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pantai cenang restaurants

Good advice, Pam!

oxford
Level Contributor
212 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pantai cenang restaurants

Hi,

Is the Indian/malay place tomato nasi kandar, or is that different?

Thanks xx

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pantai cenang restaurants

HI Pam

yes, i indeed have a schedule which lists what we are going to do each day. but from past trips experience, we dont stick to the schedule strictly . we tend to be flexible and make the necessary adjustments as we go along.

the reason why i kept asking about restaurants and food recommendations is again based on past experiences. in the beginning, we used to be v relaxed and don't bother to find out what food, which restaurants to go...in the end, we wasted lots of time deciding what to eat and it is no joke to have 3 grouchy and hungry kids waiting for us to decide. sometimes, if we are lucky, we have a satisfied meal and in other times, we ended up paying for something that is not worth the $.

As we only have a short time and we are unlikely to go back again in the near future, i usually try to find out first to save time and also to assure us of a good meal.... this has worked for us for many trips except for once , when the recommended restaurant didn't turn out to be what we expected.