We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Langkawi a gay friendly place to visit??

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Is Langkawi a gay friendly place to visit??

We are a gay couple in our forties and looking at going to Langkawi for a week and have heard reports it is not very gay friendly. Can anybody tell me otherwise?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,568 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Langkawi a gay friendly place to visit??

Hi

Langkawi is very gay friendly and I have met many same sex couples there.

Providing you are not into public displays of affection then you will not have any problems. Malaysian people find this very embarrassing even with heterosexual couples.

Enjoy

Lesley

Langkawi, Malaysia
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Langkawi a gay friendly place to visit??

Yes! As Lesley said, as long as there is no obscene stuffs, I would pledge that Langkawi is very very gay friendly place.

Happy Planning!

3. Re: Is Langkawi a gay friendly place to visit??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 May 2011, 20:05
norfolk
Level Contributor
7,643 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Langkawi a gay friendly place to visit??

for reasons which cannot be discussed on a family forum; the effect of certain laws in malaysia means gay relationships are technically illegal. i will not link sites explaining this here; a google search should give all the information necessary. the post immediately preceding this one has been reported; it is not 'family friendly'.

pam

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,568 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Langkawi a gay friendly place to visit??

Cheers Pam - I reported it earlier today!

L x

Kuala Lumpur...
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Langkawi a gay friendly place to visit??

Oh dear. It seems it's ok in a 'family friendly' forum to talk about gays but we have to be a bit 'twee' about what we say!

So, how about this : a local mini mart has 'gay friendly' necessities openly on sale on the checkout counter. Is that acceptable?

Langkawi
Level Contributor
868 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Langkawi a gay friendly place to visit??

What I find shocking is that there are reports going around that Langkawi is not gay-friendly. Are these reports from people who are actually gay? Where did you come across these reports, Drewnfran?

Not only is Langkawi gay-friendly, but it is a place where many Malaysians of various transgender identities come to work. Why would so many of them flock here if Langkawi is so intolerant of homosexuality?

Patrick

8. Re: Is Langkawi a gay friendly place to visit??

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 December 2011, 17:05
9. Re: Is Langkawi a gay friendly place to visit??

Removed on: 30 December 2011, 17:05
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,568 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Langkawi a gay friendly place to visit??

Hayat r

I have asked for your posts to be removed. You are obviously having a laugh or something.....

Get answers to your questions about Langkawi