We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pelangi Sea View Room

uk
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Pelangi Sea View Room

Hi all,

Hope you can help. I have been trying to weigh up the pros and cons of the hotels around langkawi as i will be staying for 4 nights in May with my boyfriend and it came down to the following:

berjaya

pelangi

andaman

from reading the reviews i found that a lot of people found cockroaches and ants in the berjaya (!) and a lot said that the andaman was far too remote and not worth the money. does that sound about right to you all?

therefore, i was left with Pelangi. Has anyone stayed in a sea facing room lately? do all the rooms normally a full sea view or is it partial and is it close by to the beach or does it tend to be much further away so that the full sea view can be seen from the room?

also, does anyone know what the quality of the beach at the moment? as i've heard some people say that it is quite shingley and noway near as nice as andaman...

Hope you guys can give me some pointers!

Thanks

australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pelangi Sea View Room

I have been wondering the same questions. If you get an answer to all your questions,could you please forward the answers to me. i am travelling to langkawi with my kids in June.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pelangi Sea View Room

Hello Panpan,

In relation to the Pelangi Beach, I've just got back (8 April 06) after a great holiday there and I'll try and answer what I can.

There are a lot of chalets directly facing the beach so if you get one of these chalets your view would be ideal. There is a path lined with coconut trees and then the beach so a full sea view is possible. There are some chalets a bit further back from the sea that would have partial sea views.

The sand is quite large particles but it doesn't hurt to walk on with no flip flops. In fact I prefered the sand particles a bit bigger because they don't stick to your skin as much! The sea isn't suitable for snorkelling though as the sand seems to make it murky but it is not dirty. It OK for swimming

I also visited the Andaman/Datai beach and it is nicer and more private but I thought the sea was also murky.

I actually thought the nicest beach was at the Tanjung Rhu although once you move from the area near to hotel, it suffered from litter which was a shame because otherwise it is very pretty.

I don't know about the beach at the Berjaya hotel although I did visit a beach near to it called Pantai Kok. This is shown on a lot of postcards and looks as though it will be lovely. I'm sure it once was, but now it is scattered with litter and has been ruined.

Overall, the beaches are nice but do not compare to beaches I've been to in Thailand or the Maldives. Maybe I've been lucky...

The Pelangi and Andaman both have very nice swimming pools.

south yorkshire ,UK
Level Contributor
112 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pelangi Sea View Room

also just returned from pelangi(april 17) totally agree with previous poster.pelangi does have its faults but are pleased we stayed there.the anderman is remote and you would definitely need a car if you wanted to leave the hotel.friends we met at the pelangi also stayed at the berjaya prior to the pelangi and prefered the pelangi as it was more central,bigger rooms,ect.it depends what you want if you are happy to stay in the hotel and relay on it for food and drink then thats ok and then i would chose the tanjung rhu, but we like to try the local cuisine and walk in an evening.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pelangi Sea View Room

Being a Travel Consultant I have stayed at the Pelanghi and visited the rest. I did not like the Andaman at all as it felt more like a corporate/business hotel. The Datai, next door, was much nicer and felt more designed for liesure travellers. However, the previous poster who mentioned the Tanjung Rhu was quite right in their discription and this was my overall favourite resort from a design and luxury point of view. For practical purposes and value for money though, I would choose the Pelanghi Beach which I also liked a lot.

I had a lake view room which was equally as nice and nowadays I feel that if a hotel is in a good location then a seaview can be overated anyway. (At the Tanjung Aru in Sabah I actually prefer a mountain view room).