We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flights to langkawi

Hertfordshire.Uk
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
flights to langkawi

My family and I are coming to Langkawi in Dec 06 for a 10 night stay at the pelangi and then 2 nights in KL. We are flying with Malaysian airlines and were flying direct to Langkawi from Heathrow UK, however today I was contacted by our travel agent Malaysian experience who informed me that MA do not fly direct anymore and we will have to go via KL. Does anyone know if this is true or would it be the case that the agent hadn't booked us on the direct flight.

India
Level Contributor
74 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flights to langkawi

Hi !

Have no idea about the direct flights from UK to Langkawi but can suggest you following:-

You can take flight to Langkawi from KL

check low internet airfares on www.airasia.com or www.malaysiaairlines.com

It is just a 45 minutes flight and you will get fares as low as USD 15 to USD 20 (RM 50 to RM 80)

Singapore
Level Contributor
293 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: flights to langkawi

Yes it's true. MAS is losing millions yearly. And now they are re-shaping themselves by cutting unprofitable routes, selling their MAS building in KL and selling govt-backed bonds worth billions.

But they still fly to LKW via KL.

Hertfordshire.Uk
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flights to langkawi

thanks part of the deal is onward flights to langkawi its just my wife preferred the direct flights.Anyway still looking forward to our holiday.Another quick question my little boy will be aged 7 on our visit and is really looking forward to the jungle walks are there any age limits to this and which is the best one(staying at the Pelangi over xmas)

London, UK
Level Contributor
19 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flights to langkawi

It's true.... MAS has cut the direct flight from London to KL.... MH007......

Basically everything's going to KL first and then you have to catch a shuttle flight to destinations like Penang and Langkawi.

Got an email from my travel agents earlier this week telling me that the flight I booked mid-may has been changed.

I now have to transit in KLIA for 6 hours!!! O_o

Unfortunately I booked a cheap deal (£310 inc tax) and it's restricted to MH007 and MH008, so can't change my flight plans.....

*sob*

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flights to langkawi

Hi, I have just returned from Langkawi. We flew from Singapore and had to go via KL. Even though I have been to many airports around the world I still find KLIA most confusing with poor signage particularly when you arrive on an International flight and transfer to a domestic. Anyway that's an aside. I had a 6 hour transit with my husband and 4 children a few years ago in KL and we took a room at the Pan Pacific Hotel at the airport on an hourly rate. Comfy beds and a nice swimming pool made the transit pretty much stress free. It's an option to consider. Have a great holiday.

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flights to langkawi

Thanks for the info on the stopping of the direct flight,when we came back from NZ 2 years ago we had to stop at the pan pacific overnight as I think the last plane to langkawi is about 2100 hours.(it is only a short flight)

The good thing is that as kl to langkawi is internal, our luggage went straight from NZ to langkawi so we did not have to hump it in kl

dave

UK
Level Contributor
403 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flights to langkawi

We're supposed to be taking MH 7 in four weeks. I haven't heard from my agent, but just checked the website- and yes, a six hour wait in KL. I'm gutted. We only have a very short holiday anyway, so to lose half a day in the airport is maddening.

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flights to langkawi

slightly off post but we are going to penang in June and have just heard from our travel adviser (used to be called travel agent) that our straight through flight fron heathrow is now via kl with a 2.40mins stopover, not happy but little you can do??

dave

London, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flights to langkawi

Well we are travelling next week and I have not even been told of any changes.

I booked 7 months ago and based our trip on the direct flight to Langkawi for 5 nights, then on to KL for 2 nights then on to KK for 14 nights before flying back via KL.

So we will now have to go through KL 3 times.

The Air Industry infuriate me the way we get treated.

UK
Level Contributor
403 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flights to langkawi

You'll probably be OK Eagle. The direct flights are cancelled from 26th March. The best way to check is to use Malaysian Airlines' (rubbish) website to check their schedule. if you type in your travel date, it should show whether the flight is direct or not. Or, of course, phone the airline office.