We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where is best for snorkelling?

Leeds england
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
where is best for snorkelling?

We are going to Langkawi at the end of July with our 3 boys aged 16,14 and 12 who like to spend their time snorkelling, preferably off the beach near a coral reef.All the reports of Langkawi mention beautiful beaches but nothing about the swimming,except for a problem with jellyfish.We were hoping to go to a fairly cheap hotel and the frangipani langkawi village is looking favourite, but can anyone tell me about the chances of seeing nice marine life? thanks very much!

Kuching
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where is best for snorkelling?

I am an avid diver and snorkeler and am sad to say that there really is no great snorkeling right off a beach in Langkawi. The main beaches (Pantai) are Cenang, Tengah, Kok, Datai, Tengkorak, Tanjung Rhu, and Pasir Hitam. All of the beaches suffer from poor underwater geography and currents which cause sand to be mixed up in the water around the island. This cuts down quite a bit on clarity. The water isn’t polluted it just has sand in it. There is a fair amount of marine life but clarity can make spotting it a bit of a problem.

Most of the affordable hotels will be along Cenang and Tengah which are side by side, and Kok. Frangipani/Langkawi Village Resort is one of the best places to stay in my opinion.

The main snorkel destination is Pulau Payar which requires a boat ride and is an all day experience. There are a few islands around that you can take shorter trips to that are also decent for snorkeling.

Leeds england
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: where is best for snorkelling?

Thank you for that useful info.We'll just have to have a different attitude to the holiday and spend more time by the pool and on boat trips!Isn't this internet thing fantastic when you can find out exactly what you need to know!How did we ever live without it?!

Stone, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where is best for snorkelling?

Hi, We are going to Langkawi this Thursday for 11 nights with our 2 daughters 14 and 12 years, we are staying at the Frangipani langkawi village resort and our girls love snorkelling too so when we get back i will let you know what the resort is like and how they got on snorkelling. Think we will maybe have to try a boat trip like new22003 said.

Kuching
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where is best for snorkelling?

The trip to Pulau Payar can NOT be missed even for people only mildly interested in snorkeling. Its a wonderful place for familes, couples, and singles.

There is a huge amount of sea life and it is rather cheap and fun for a whole day experience. Watch out for the little fish though. I have them nibbling at my leg hairs and one actually bit my nipple! It doesnt hurt bad (the fish are small) but gets your attention.

Also dont forget to pack an underwater camera. They can be had for around RM 40-50.

Stone, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where is best for snorkelling?

Many thanks again new22003, funny you should say about the underwater camera, we have been looking here in UK and had difficulty finding one so I guess we will be able to pick one up in Langkawi. 2 days to go ..... most definatly look into the boat trip to Pulau Payar.

Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: where is best for snorkelling?

Hi Pernodlady,

Ditto what new22003 said.

There is no decent snorkelling off Langkawi but Palau Payar Marine Park is great! We went there over Xmas with our two kids aged 13 and 12. They absolutely loved it and enjoyed swimming with the sharks. We took the cheaper option of the two tours and were pleased with what we got for the money.

There is however some lovely fresh water swimming on Langkawi. I think it is called Seven Wells Waterfall (other people on this forum would be able to tell you the corect name - my memory is fading LOL).

We went to this place for fresh water swimming and had a great time. The kids enjoyed sliding down the rock face into the water.

Just watch out for the monkeys though in the carpark! LOL

Wendy P

Level Contributor
70 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where is best for snorkelling?

althogh they will be able to snorkel unfortunately the snorkelling on Langkawi for much of the year is not as good as some of the travel guides say! To get the best you will need to get away from the main island. Hire a boat or the other option for snorkelling is to a tour to the nearby Thai islands. Agreed Pulau Payar is a good day out and cheaper but the water there is clearer than at Pulau Payar. The water at Palau Payar is a bit murky. The travel guides exaggerate its beauty - do a full search on tripadvisor and you will see what I mean! The fish their though are great however, the coral not so!- no where near as clear as Fiji, Thailand, Tahiti.The Thai islands are not heavily advertised and are a new attraction. The Malays all push for their own Pulau Payar.You will get info this option on Langkawi. The best place to book tours is at the Ferry Terminal in Kuah. There are lots of travel agents there to see that you are not getting ripped off!!

Your boys may like the go karts - mine did.

They will also love the skiing and jet skiis. The cable car is awesome - a must.

Our best day though on langkawi was the Stardust Cruise. It was a fantastic day and our teenagers loved it too. If we had not done it on our second last day we would have done it again!!

Check their site out

http://www.langkawi-sailing.com/

Stavanger, Norway
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where is best for snorkelling?

Hi

I just came back from a trip to Malaysia and it was a nice trip. We went to KL, Perhentian and Langkawi. We took a trip to Payar to snorkle and it was fun. Got to snorkle with lots of colorful fish and even got to swim with small sharks and barracuda...well, they were about 1 meter so it was enough to get me a bit nervous. I posted some pics in a blog from the trip so that my family could see the pictures and they also got a bit nervous when I said that I had been swimming with sharks.

It is also possible to go to a place called Butang Island but that was more expensive but it looks great based on their website http://www.butang-islands.com/index.html

Regards

Gard

gardkarlsen@hotmail.com

Kuching
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where is best for snorkelling?

Thanks for checking back in with us gard. glad you had a great time and i love reading your reports.

United Kingdom
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: where is best for snorkelling?

Can't recommend Palau Payar enough especially the Langkawi Coral all day excursion. The staff were great, laid on buffet just right and all those fish! My recollection from last year was that you could buy disposable underwater camera's on the platform at a reasonable price......this might explain why I've got underwater photo's then "$$%£! The boat journey from Penang was worth the cost on it's own. Enjoyed it so much that we are in Langkawi from April 18th and intend to go back to Palau Payar.