We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Hotel?????

enfield
1 post
Save Topic
Which Hotel?????

I was wanting any help possible to help me choose which one of the fabulous 5* hotels we should stay at on our way back from Australia. Budget would be around £1500 for 6 nights.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Malaysia
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Hotel?????

I would suggest Hotel Cardogan situated in bukit bintang.... no frills hotel situated in bustling bukit bintang area ad its gonna cost you for a standard room rm100-130 per night. Tel No: +6021444883

Tokyo
Level Contributor
476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Hotel?????

I think the Datai is considered one of the nicest hotels. Has a lovely secluded beach in a sheltered bay which is shared by just one other hotel.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Hotel?????

Definately the Datai! You will have seen alot of beaches in Aussie, this give you the best of both. White sand beach and rainforest!

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Hotel?????

Hi Kaishay, for the budget of SterlingPounds1500 for 6 nights, that will be SterlingPounds250 per night.

SterlingPounds 250 is equivalent to Ringgit Malaysia 1,625.

I like talking to people with this type of budget, and helping the Malaysian economy alot. Thank you.

For this rate, maybe you could even have the end suites at the Datai.

In my personal opinion, if you wish to be close to greenery and marvel at million years old tropical forest, then it should be Datai.

If the end suites is above your budget, get the villa, I think you could afford the pool villa which has a private plunge pool.

Just to give you some insight into other resort hotels of 5 stars type in Langkawi:-

Andaman--few metres away from Datai. Rooms are in a main block of the building. In my personal opinion, not so of distinctive character like Datai. Datai try to emulate the Aman resorts, but I feel in no way it pretends to occupy the same niche as Aman; it is far cheaper, thus enabling people (though still discerning people) to get the nearly the same level of luxury and service, at lower prices.

Tanjung Rhu Resort--located at the other end of the Datai. Used to enjoy being the only solitude hotel in this area, until Four Seasons Resort also opened a property here.

However, the beach maynot be so private like in Datai (or Andaman), as there is a back road where public could still enter and take a stroll on the beach, although Tanjung Rhu has been able to control these public from "trepassing".

All in, if you are really looking for solitude and among tropical forest, Datai is the place.

I personally enjoy the pool at the upper terrace,another pool is by the beach, which by a flight of stairs (170 steps), you reach the beach facing the Andaman sea.

Oh yes, do take advantage of the guided walks of its forest, by Mr. Irshad.

Datai- a place to de-stress among the tropical forest.

Why I like the beach--free from beach bums, no buzzing speedboats, and plenty of space and well, no problem with anyone staking out their lebensraum.

If you are into snorkelling--take an excursion on a catamaran to Pulau Payar Marine Park (Pulau = malay for island; payar = Malay for mangrove).

Have a great time at the Datai.

Kuching
Level Contributor
1,287 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Hotel?????

I would go with the Tanjung Rhu or the Datai as mentioned above.

Neither resort has a “great” location close to attractions but they are very pretty locations. You won’t find any resort in your price range really that close to anything (very small island though). I used to be a big Datai fan, and still am to a large degree, but the Tanjung Rhu impresses me more and more. I think they have the best chef on the island and the food is outstanding. Overall the staff is excellent and very helpful. Both beaches are very good in my opinion. Water clarity is typical Langkawi at both beaches. The sand gets mixed up close to shore and cuts down on visibility.

The resorts are on complete opposite sides of the island. The Datai is on the NW side the Tanjung on the NE. The Tanjung Rhu is a bit closer to Kuah and the Datai is closer to the airport and Oriental Village. There are various small settlements all around to get some local flavor and do a bit of shopping. Again nothing is super close to either but Langkawi is so small I don’t find anything inconvenient (I do enjoy driving though). A rental car is a must and REALLY adds to your trip. Driving is very very easy and cars start as cheap as RM 50 a day.

Perth Western...
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Hotel?????

I'm afraid I am a total Tanjung Rhu convert. See my photo. The beach is lovely ( not clear water but most water isn't around the Island really). You need to take the day trip to Coral Island for snorkelling and that is an amazing experience. The view from the hotel over the beach and across to Thailand is not marred by the cement works ( which is what you see from the 4 Seasons). I also liked that the hotel owners give access to the Malay locals to access the waters for fishing and gathering mussels as they have done for years. Thats really important to subsidise local family budgets. Also, the place might be five star, but there is a great little community of stall holders and yummy street food available on the border of the complex. One nice touch I enjoyed there was hiring the convertible peugeot for a day. Didn't bother with a car for the rest of the week.

australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Hotel?????

would you recommend this hotel for a family of 5? I am looking for a hotel which provides 2 bed suite or a family room with sea wiew. I am a discerning traveller so this resort sounds luxurious. Thankyou

Perth Western...
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Hotel?????

I don't think I could find fault with the resort. We were made to feel very special throughout our stay. I know families with young children seemed very happy and we were gathering information for our daughter and son in law and they have a small child and it was perfect for them. OLder kids (say 12-16 might not feel there is enough action going on thats all. Although there are the usual watersports available and a wide choice of mangrove adventure tours ( Tanjung Rhu employs their own eco tour guides).

The resort staff are trained to treat the guest as very special and they go out of their way to create a relaxed ambience. We were always greeted with the hand on heart greeting "salamat datang" ( I think!). The hospitality has a Malay/ Thai flavour in terms of how to treat guests. You don't notice the workings of a hotel going on around you like you often see in the western approach to hospitality.

As for the suite (Bayu Suria say) That had 2 lounging areas, sep bathroom, large king bed area , dressing area/ desk area, so very big. It also had a balcony facing the garden and another facing the sea. The rooms are in towers. I think most of the towers (4 floors high I think) didn't have a lift. So not sure how you feel about that. We had a fourth floor suite and loved it.

The beach is safe ( have to watch the tides though, but there are warning flags) and three fabulous pools make up for that. I can't wait to return next February. :-)

Sydney
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Hotel?????

Hi all, reading the posts with interest. Appreciate any advice you can offer. Am looking to take my wife to Langkawi for a relaxing 50 b'day present. We live in New South wales Australia. Don't want hustle n bustle but do like creature comforts i.e. 5 star suits us fine :). Are there all inclusive packages available at Datai, are food, drinks etc expensive??

Cheers

Pudsa

australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Hotel?????

I would definately choose the Tahjung Rhu.

Its quiet, has oversized rooms and a beautiful beach.

I have just returned from there and there is an all inclusive food package which is great value and a must when booking.

The best Restaurant to eat at this resort is called the Rhu.

I didnt try the spa,but it looked beautiful.

The pools are spectacular and very modern design.

I beleive this is the only place that will meet all your requirements.

The Tanjung Rhu is a 5 star resort with all the amenities you will desire.

If you have any particular questions,i would be happy to answer.

Happy travelling.