We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March Weather - Have done research, just want clarification!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
March Weather - Have done research, just want clarification!

Hi All,

Have booked flights to Malaysia for the first 2 weeks in March next year. After much research I have read that the east coast is stil in it's Monsoon season until the end of March. But the West coast is ok. I've read various websites and they seem to imply that Langkawi would be ok weather wise in March, although there's been a few conflicting bits of info.

I guess I was just after clarification of people who know the place well and could advise if they think we'd be ok for sunshine in March? I know we could be in for some showers as it's the tropics, I was just hoping for short bursts rather than rain for days! So if anyone could just clarify for me that what I've read is right and we should be relatively ok weather wise that would be great!

Thanks

Joebella

Mentioned in this post
Langkawi
Langkawi
Langkawi District, Malaysia
norfolk
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March Weather - Have done research, just want clarification!

what are you not clear about?

march is still in peak tourist season; the wet does not start until around june. rain over night is common year-round, as are occasional showers.

pam

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,459 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: March Weather - Have done research, just want clarification!

It will be hot and sunny !!! Maybe the occasional short sharp rain shower... though we did have 2 whole days of rain in Pangkor one year.

Even during the "wet" season the weather is still more sun than rain.

Edited: 31 July 2012, 13:50
Mentioned in this post
Pangkor
Pangkor
Pulau Pangkor, Malaysia
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: March Weather - Have done research, just want clarification!

Fabulous, thank you. Just wanted to check as some websites had implied it wasn't good weather in March hence me wanting to check from people who hav been.

That puts my mind at rest, can't wait to get there now.

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
4,459 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: March Weather - Have done research, just want clarification!

It'll definitely be better than Lancashire !!!

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: March Weather - Have done research, just want clarification!

Rawtale t - I think most places are better than Preston! I've never known anywhere rain so much!

Australia
Level Contributor
168 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: March Weather - Have done research, just want clarification!

We were there in March this year and there was plenty of sunshine. Yes we had the usual showers and thunderstorms but these were mostly in the evening and were very welcome to freshen everything up. We normally go to Malaysia in September but as it was so quiet in March/April we are going again at that time next year. hope you have a great holiday in paradise.

Mentioned in this post
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: March Weather - Have done research, just want clarification!

Fab, thank you scotgal! We're fine with showers as have experienced that when travelling round Thailand. As long as there's some sun to lay out in im fine!

Mentioned in this post
Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
234 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: March Weather - Have done research, just want clarification!

For west coast of Malaysia, the weather is typified by a clear, blue sky morning, developing clouds by noon and short thunderstorm by 7pm. I totally understand what the poster was asking since even Thailand has this so-called wet & dry season in which rain & no-rain are 99% guaranteed, LOL. The east coast of Malaysia does have a more discernible weather pattern of little rain from Apr-Sep and lots of rain from Nov-Feb hence the much-talked-about monsoon.

I remember when it rained cats and dog during Malaysian F1 race this year, twitters went beserk with people asking why the race was scheduled during a monsoon and I was like, what?? LOL

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: March Weather - Have done research, just want clarification!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 21:17