We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions for a 5 day stay.

London, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
205 reviews
Save Topic
Questions for a 5 day stay.

Hi Everyone!

I'll be visiting Langkwai at the end of September and would like to ask a few questions, so I do that someone could please help me?

I wanted to snorkel, and to possibly see some coral reefs, I want to spend as little as possible but also have a nice experience. So are there any tour operators that are decent & fairly priced?

Also, where is the best beach to visit? I would love to come across a paradise like beach, without loads of people, rubbish or rough seas. My partner & I will be hiring a car, so we can get around the whole island.

Also, there will be just my parter & I, how much should I bear in mind for spending costs per day (not including accommodation)? As I've heard food is a little more pricey than KL. How much would a beer/cocktail cost? I'm hoping to sip a few by the beach!

Fingers crossed the rain stays away!

I look forward to anyone's kind advice!

Thank you in advance!

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,687 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions for a 5 day stay.

Hi

Langkawi is not a snorkelling/diving paradise I'm afraid. It is a full day trip to Pulau Payar Marine Park for this and hence it is expensive!

Nicest beaches are at the top of the island near the Tanjung Rhu and a lovely beach to visit is Pasir Tengkorak which is also at the top end of the island.

Beer costs around 10/11RM at most beach bars and cocktails a little more. Remember if the restaurant you chose is Muslim owned, then they will probably not serve any alcohol at all.

Enjoy

Lesley

KL
Level Contributor
1,593 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions for a 5 day stay.

Paradise like beach without loads of people will burn yr pocket. You must be ready to pay something like USD300 per night for these rooms with quiet beaches.

How much spending cost required depends on yr taste, car rental starts from about myr100 per day, petrol myr1.90 per liter. Food - hard to say, if you eat in hotels can be myr 80 per person per meal but if you take street food just myr5 per meal. Entrance tickets not expensive, island hopping about myr50 per person sharing basis. What else? Chocs very cheap, a pack of Hersheys cos myr11 about usd3.5.

Isle Of Wight
Destination Expert
for Isle of Wight, Sitges
Level Contributor
3,551 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions for a 5 day stay.

July 2012:

Small car with insurance myr 75 for 24 hours ( from T Shoppe)

Island hopping myr25 per person

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
65 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions for a 5 day stay.

GOing for my honeymoon, staying at Berjaya end of September too!!! Can't wait :)

Guys - Which company would you recommend for island hopping?

Edited: 10 August 2012, 16:24
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Langkawi, Langkawi District
Level Contributor
9,687 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions for a 5 day stay.

Hi

You can book an island hopping tour with the tour desk at Berjaya. It will be one of the better ones.

I will also be at Berjaya in September. If our visits coincide, come and have a chat......

Lesley

Langkawi
Level Contributor
868 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions for a 5 day stay.

Bianca, if you do decide to come here and take the Pulau Payar Marine Park package, I would strongly advise you to spend the extra RM 100 per person on the Platform Package. The Platform is moored about 100m offshore and has hot lunch, freshwater showers, clean toilets, underwater viewing. The cheaper package is the Beach Drop with a crappy cold lunch and public toilets you don't want to face. The platform package includes a beach visit.

And also book it on the day itself. I went on a cloudy day and it started to pour in the afternoon. I couldn't see a damn thing underwater. You need sunshine to enjoy Pulau Payar. If it's not sunny in the morning, don't waste your money.

You are coming in Sep, which is theoretically the height of the monsoon season but there should be periods of sunshine. If it pours, head out to the waterfalls (we've got three gorgeous ones). The waterfalls during the monsoon is a sight to behold.

Patrick

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
90 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions for a 5 day stay.

First of all, people don't go to Langkawi for gorgeous beaches or snorkelling so please adjust your expectations (or you'll end up being very disappointed):)

The best beach is Tanjung Rhu. Most of the beach belongs to Tanjung Rhu Resort and the Four Seasons but there's a little strech which is available to the public. As it isn't maintained, it's a bit dirtier but the view is still very pretty.

Alcoholic drinks in Langkawi are much cheaper than KL as Langkawi is a tax-free island. A beer at a coffeeshop is about RM3 and most high-end cafés/ restaurants charge between RM5-8. At 5-star hotels like Westin and Four Seasons, a beer is about RM20 and at supermarkets RM1.80;) Cocktails are between RM15-RM35.

Be warned that some bars serve fake spirits which can sometimes cause you to feel very ill. My husband completely passed out after 2 cocktails (when normally he can drink 6 without feeling much). He was hallucinating and the next day, both himself and his friend were puking and 'dying' (in their words. They said they never felt so sick in their lives and it was not a hangover).

Food is indeed more expensive than KL ('western' food). A 3-course meal and a bottle of wine for 2 in a nice place like Brasserie/ Bon Ton would probably cost around RM400 but there are also many cheap local food joints which will only cost RM10 p.p.

Edited: 26 August 2012, 16:47
Langkawi
Level Contributor
868 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions for a 5 day stay.

Patatje, what happened to your hushand and friend is NOT something normal that happens here and needs to be investigated. I've lived here 5 years and have never heard of tourists regularly being given toxic substances in their drinks, not even for kidnapping or robbery purposes.

All bars here usually want customers to have a good time and come back repeatedly. They make more money that way rather than saving a few cents replacing their alcohol with poison. Watering drinks down I can understand, but not poison.

Can you give me the name of the bar where your husband was? I will get the relevant authorities to check it out. If you don't feel comfortable giving the name over a public forum, message me by clicking on my username. Thanks.

Patrick

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,877 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions for a 5 day stay.

As another poster says, I think perhaps you need to adjust your expectations. I would not say Langkawi is a paradise beach island at all. It's nice but nothing more IMO. Granted I was staying on the beach in Chaweng and didn't see the beach at Tanjung Rhu as it rained non stop we were there and we had to cancelled almost all the activities we had planned and ended up leaving the island early. All that said, I did like the island but wouldn't be in any rush to go back.

10. Re: Questions for a 5 day stay.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2013, 10:17